proscar

Hi everyone,

I am a new member and would like to thank the ones who have put this forum together...its great!

I am 35 years old and have recently had a 2200 HT mainly to the frontal area (three months ago) and was prescribed with proscar 1/4 tablet every other day. My question is, why every other day? and what would the benifits of increasing it to every day be?

I look forward to any replies, thanks

Rambus icon_smile.gif

Hi everyone,

I am a new member and would like to thank the ones who have put this forum together...its great!

I am 35 years old and have recently had a 2200 HT mainly to the frontal area (three months ago) and was prescribed with proscar 1/4 tablet every other day. My question is, why every other day? and what would the benifits of increasing it to every day be?

I look forward to any replies, thanks

Rambus icon_smile.gif

Both Propecia and Proscar contain the same drug... Finasteride. Propecia is 1mg and Proscar is 5mg. To save money, some people get a prescription for Proscar and cut each pill into 4ths, giving you about 1.25mg each dose. The dosage for Propecia is one pill a day (1mg a day).

Perhaps your doctor feels that taking 1.25mg every other day would be a good preventive measure. Are you still losing hair? If not, then taking the drug every other day is a good way to keep it in check. However, if you are still losing hair, you might want to switch to an everyday dosage. Of course, check with your doctor first.

Hope this helps a bit. icon_smile.gif