Density and grafts per square centimeter

marlon

The appearence of density really depends on many different factors including, hair color, straigh vs wavy, hair shaft diameter, existing hair, lighting, and many others. How many grafts a hair restoration surgeon places per square centimeter is strongly influenced by the size of the grafts that are prepared and the method in which these grafts are created. Clinics that use microscopes to dissect the donor tissue are generally able to produce trimmer grafts and therefore able place a greater number of grafts per square centimeter. Generally, when you get in the 35-40 follicular units per square centimeter range the density is adaquate for most individuals, but even 20-25 follicular units can make a significant aesthetic

improvement.

Dr. Charles:

I'm a bit confused. If you get 35-40 follicular units per square centimeter, does that equal 70 - 80 hairs per centimeter (roughly). Is so, is that not VERY close some people's normal density?

27 young, i am not a doc but hair transplantation NEVER can give you close or VERY close to someone's original density. NONE of the before and after pictures from this site have anywhere close to their original density. What docs want to achieve is density that is pleasing to the eye. I had a conversation w/ Dr. Feller on the subject, some doc's refer to 50% density, that depends on many things such as hair shaft thickness, hair color, etc. Do some reading on the recent threads on density most probably commented on by Dr. feller, listen to him, this is his livlihood and he knows of what he speaks. Good Luck