Toppik

I am 22 years old and have been experiencing noticable thinning in the frontal portion of my hairli  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm 24 and Toppik has been a life saver for me. My hair is thin throughout, including the front, and it looks good. I'd say go ahead and try it, some people love it, some don't, but if you don't like it I think you can send it back for a refund. And acually I just heard an ad for it on the radio today where you can get a bottle of it free.

You don't need to comb your hair, I use my fingers as well. Not sure how gel will work, I use hair spray and it works well because it helps the fibers to bond more securely with your hair. Hope this helps, I know it sucks being young and having to deal with this crap.

I've tried both Toppik and Prothik. Prothik is VERY messy. You use it like hairspray, but the stuff (because it's a spray) gets into the air and all over the place--I spent an hour trying to clean my bathroom after I used the product! It is also stiff in your hair and falls out easily.

Toppik is much easier to use. It can also end up in your sink (when you shake it onto your head), but it doesn't stain and is easy to clean--turn the water on and the Toppik disappears immediately. It can end up on your pillow, but using a really good hairspray will minimize that. I have found Toppik to be an outstanding product and I highly recommend it. To the young men in their twenties--I'm in my mid-thirties--hairloss sucks at any age! I wish I new about Toppik when I was your age because it has really changed how I feel about my appearance. Good luck.

I am in 100% aggreement with DON. Just make sure that you don't get overly excited and use too much. Use just enough to make you feel comfortable.

Don - I am approaching 30 and use toppik also. I use it toward the frontal Portion of my scalp ( about 5-6 shakes). I am about a NW 3 and it has been a life saver for me. Where are you in terms of hair loss and how do you apply it?

AP - It is hard to say. I guess you should have at least 40% of your hair for it to work best. However, the only way to truley know is to try it. If you need any advice on method of application, amount, color, etc, just ask.

I need it for the vertex mainly. I have a very severely thinned spot the about size of an orange. I can feel the thin hair there and not the scalp, but the scalp shows right through very clearly when I see it in the mirror. I'd guess I have 25% of my hair there--hard to measure.

MD, it's the darndest thing with that product. Toppik is legitimate and I have the amount of existing hair they show people getting full coverage with but no one who has talked about their use of it says you can get the appearance of full coverage except for Farrel from hairlosshelp, who has a site with his Toppik pictures I saw (he got better coverage than the people in the ads, he has barely visible vellous hair and gets full coverage it seems).

I have to confess I'm afraid to order it because I fear the day I try it and find it doesn't work and I have too much miniaturized (but thicker) hair to have an HT w/o shock loss. Toppik sounds too good to be true from what most people say.

Well, if you have any suggestions based on this about whether I should still try it I would of course appreciate that, and thanks for offering to help with some application tips if I get it, I'm not so good with those sorts of things.

AP - I would give it a shot. A full look can be achieved but obviously, if the hair is totally gone, it won't happen in that area. I do think that a full look when your hair is thinning can be achieved. I use toppik in the frontal portion of my scalp. The hair in this area is thin to where I can see scalp but the hair is definately not vellus. I have been using it for over a year and nobody has ever said anything to me at all. At first, I got so excited that I used alot. This went on for about 8 months. I had a nice full look from it. I decided to tapper down just because eventually I hope to regrow my hair so that I don't need it anymore. Therefore, a full look can be achieved but I think only enough to make you feel comfortable should be used. Based on what you said, I think you should give it a shot. The people who don't like toppik fell this way for that following reasons.

1. They feel as though they are being "Fake" if they use it. Why? It is a cosmetic product. Men and woman color their gray, use gels, mouse, thickener. Woman dye their hair, use makeup, and on and on. Toppik is a product that gives your hair fullness and managability.

2. Some people are just too thin to use it.

3. I think this is an inportant one. After applying it, people get about 1 foot away from an intense light source and complain because the toppik is a little visable on the scalp. First of all, it is only apparent to these people because they are looking for it. Also, how many times will you be 1 foot away from a intense light source with your head down for an extended period of time? Toppik has 3 functions in my opinion. Some binds to your hair thickening each hair shaft. Secondlay, some falls to the base of your hair shaft thickening the base between hairs. Lastly, it lessens the contrast between the hair and scalp. Sorry to ramble. I just think the product is amazing and hope that more people who are candidates to use it take advantage instead of feeling self contious about their hair.It has been a God sent for me and maybe it will be for you too.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. By the way, how can I get to farrel's pictures??

AP - Based on my expierience with toppik, Farrell's pics are legit. I think in his case, he is too thin to be using toppik to where it is totally natural. But you get the idea. I think it is idea for the crown area.

Okay, guys, here's the skinny on Toppik...

AP--Use it! You have nothing to lose. I was VERY skeptical at first because I first heard about it in the National Enquirer. I thought it had to be a scam. It was only $20, so I thought I'd give it a try. Toppik has changed my life. When I look at pictures that were taken of me before I used Toppik, I get sick to my stomach and wish that no one else had copies. Now, I feel much more confident and do not shy away from cameras. Don't wait--trust me. If you don't like it, you can wash it right out of your hair.

I believe the pictures are real because my hair looks just as good--better, in my opinion. My hair is VERY thin in the back, but that part is the easiest to hide with Toppik because people don't really pay attention to the back of your head. I have had balding men ask me how I grew so much hair in so little time. Believe me, if ANY group will notice fake hair, it's balding men.

MD--I use Couvre as a base--it really helps reduce the contrast. I have dark brown hair, so I ordered the dark brown. I recently ordered the black and have found that black works better for me. My advice is to put it on while your hair is wet. It goes on easier and you use less of the product. After that, you can dry your hair or let it air dry. I use it all over my thinning areas--even the hairline. It makes the Toppik look even more natural, and I find that I use less Toppik when I apply Couvre first. (This product is sold by the same company that makes Toppik--20 bucks.) Don't touch your hair until you put on the Toppik. The Couvre will come off onto your hands. Once you apply Toppik, it absorbs the excess Couvre and solves the problem.

When my hair dries, I use Toppik. I do use it in the hairline, but not as much as other areas. I then apply Aqua Net hairspray--cheap and strong. After the spray dries, I sometimes use a little more Toppik and then spray again. The spray helps to hold in the Toppik and thicken the hair.

Every morning, I add a little more Toppik and spray. I can usually go about a week without washing my hair. The Couvre stays in all week--no touch-ups needed. Morning showers are much faster when you don't have to wash and dry your hair.

I used to be a Norwood 5 or 6. I had an excellent transplant with Dr. Keene in Arizona. She didn't add any hair to my crown, so that area is more difficult to cover, but the front (where I used to be VERY thin) has enough hair now for a natural look (when I use Toppik). With Toppik, I am probably a Norwood 1 or 2. The change was so drastic that I couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror. The hairline doesn't look perfect to me, but I am MUCH more critical of my hair than others. I look in the mirror about 2-6 inches away. Of course, most people do not get this close to me.

I will close with this. Nobody knows how important hair is until they lose it. I used to suffer the rude and insensitive comments of others who thought that my thinning hair was really funny. I wouldn't have been so mindful of my hairloss if others hadn't kept reminding me. Now, NOBODY makes jokes or even comments about my hair because it isn't an issue anymore. I LOOK like I have a decent amount of hair for a man my age. In fact, I've even been carded several times--something that hasn't happened to me in a VERY long time.

I hope that this post will help some people. I know that Pat's website has REALLY helped me--I'm just trying to give a little bit back.

Figsy,

Use what's left of your brain to post something on-topic and useful instead of trying to sabotage threads that can benefit a lot of people. You seem just to post randomly in a desperate attempt for attention.

And Pat, can you do something about guys like these who deter other people from making serious posts? There are no first amendment rights on the internet. Between him and GNX I'm losing interest and faith in your site and I guess I'll have to go elsewhere for advice.

Bye for now,

AP

sometimes a little humor,can do us all some good.

if you read my posts you'll find i recently

underwent an extensive fu procedure and am

offering sound advice to others.the above poster

speaks about not washing his hair for a week

leaving dyes and artificial products in his hair

which any derm would not condone.also learn how

to spell toppik not topic.lighten up and learn

how to laugh,i'm laughing at you for your lack

of humor and the stick up tour butt attitude.

lighten up!!! icon_razz.gif

I used the phrase "on-topic", which means "about the topic" to any person with the brain of a four-year old. Topic being a subject, not the hair fiber product.

I don't need to learn how to spell. You need to learn how to read.

for a while there i really thought you were dumb.

now i know your just plain stupid. lol

aside from your problem which we all seem to

have you have insecure personality disorder.

oh pat,please stop these posters.stop crying

and learn to laugh and have fun alittle,pat is

not going to rescue you from your problems

get a grip on them yourself.go workout,get a tan

and control the things you can,and learn from my

post wash your hair at the end of a day after using toppik it's not healthy and watch out for

those toppik bugs,they'll get you at night.

good luck FIGSY icon_eek.gif

Toppik bugs? Is that a joke? I've been using the product for 6 months now and haven't had any problems. As far as the dyes being left in your hair, I suppose that may be a good point; however, how is that any different than people who color their hair? Also, even if you wash your hair everyday, you are just going to re-apply Toppik, so the dye will still be in your hair. My transplant doctor told me that using Toppik was safe, so I'm going to take her word for it until I see some research that can prove otherwise. I suppose that any pill that you put into your body or any topical ointment that you use carries some risk. At this point, all I can say is that Toppik has amazing results and I will continue using it until something better comes along. If the Toppik bugs start biting, I'll probably do something a little more drastic...like clean my house. icon_cool.gif

Hi, I am new to this board. I recently had a transplant done at Shapiro Medical by Dr.Rose.

I used Toppix the third day after surgery. Some of it went onto the scalp on the grafts. I cannot rub it off with my fingers in the shower until five days. Is this a problem? Will this affect the growth of my grafts? Please advice.

• 11 months later...

I, too, heard the radio ad on the other day ... but I was driving and didn't have the capacity to write down the number. The ad DID INDEED mention the first bottle was free.

Anyone get that number?

I've never tried it before, but for the price ... it can't hurt.

Hi Guys, Looks like many people like topic so I have decided to give it a shot. I am N3V with pretty thin hair on front and almost bald crown. My question is, I put minoxidil every morning after shower. Can I apply toppik on top of that? Would it reverse the effectiveness of either of these products? I concentrate minoxidil mostly in crown area and I guess I will use toppik only in front since there aren't many hair left in the crown. Please advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I am 25 years old and have a thinning top and Toppik has worked very well for me. You just have to remember to not use too much and you'll be fine. I can fill in my hairline and wear it to work. I even shaved my head and was able to use it after about 3 weeks of growth by just gradually adding more as my thicker hair grew in.

Baldness is masculine. Jason Statham would look really gay with hair.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been using toppik for about a year now. though i am only a NW2, i use toppik to cover up my receding temple areas. it works pretty good due to the fact that i have tiny peack fuzz in those areas. USE TOPPIK, IT WORKS!!!!