Back of Head (Donor Region)

I've been trying to learn a bit about hair transplantation, and have found follicular-unit transplantation using the strip-harvesting method is likely the most popular form of it. I wonder, I see many images of people's hairlines pre- and post-op., but almost none of their donor regions. Does the area from which follicles are taken end up looking bald or "thin" after the procedure?

Also, if the head is shaven, how noticeable is the scar (produced by the tri-closure technique)?

Thank you.

The scar visibility is often discussed in many threads here. If you go to a top doc then the likelihood is it will be visible at #1 or #2 clip guard but #3 could be ok and #4 is ok for a lot of guys. This only becomes fully obvious 6-9 months after the procedure once the scar has settled down. Prior to that the redness can make it more detectable. Some people however, report that they have to use a #8 guard to cover it. Also most figures are based on dry hair. Wet hair would likely require longer lengths to cover the scar.

Post-op the area around the scar can suffer from what is known as shock loss. This means that hairs in that region are traumatised by the procedure and fall out. The follicles are not permanently damaged but go into a kind of hibernation. New hair will start to grow in the region 3-4 months later. Not everyone suffers with shock loss. People say it is hard to predict although some would argue that it is more likely the bigger the session you have done.

Hope this helps

Less pics of donor area because it is usually a non-issue, as native hair is covering the scar.

I had some shock loss at the donor region and that is only why i documented it.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

wn. Prior to that the redness can make it more detectable. Some people however, report that th

Thank you. Could someone post a picture of his (healed) scar area, preferably with a closely-shaven scalp?

Also, once all is said and done, is the donor region affected by less dense hair, as some has been removed? Is that area of the scalp "tighter," since a piece of it is missing?

Thanks again.