Cost

Sorry guys I have one more question.....I've heard that the average cost per graft is 4 or 5 dollars. Say I get 1000 units...would the final cost be 4 or 5 grand or are there other costs that I'm not aware of? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much I need to borrow. Thanks again.

Dorian

Sorry guys I have one more question.....I've heard that the average cost per graft is 4 or 5 dollars. Say I get 1000 units...would the final cost be 4 or 5 grand or are there other costs that I'm not aware of? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much I need to borrow. Thanks again.

Dorian

Dorian...

Costs vary from HT surgeon to HT surgeon. Many surgeons offer prices comparable to what you stated, and many offer discounts as your increase the number of grafts to a certain point.

You can find doctors who are willing to be more generous...like $3.50 per graf, which makes a big difference if you want a 1000 grafs. You have to visit many doctors and ask for their price and deal with them. HT is a pretty competitive field and the highest price isn't always the best. Doctors who don't do a lot of advertising and practice on his own tend to have moderate prices. I had a 1000 grafs for $3,200. Of course I am a student so I guess the doc went easy on me...of course, the cheapest price isn't the best either. Just find a doc you are comfortable with and has a moderate price...good luck.

Dorian, I've not had a transplant from this doctor but I have heard very good things about her. She has an excellant website that lists the prices for grafts. She starts at $5 per graft but then the price comes down depending on the quantity. Click here to check out the web site. If I lived in the SouthWest US, she would be very high on my list as she is part of the Shapiro Group.