FUE small session

I have been considering a HT for a couple of years now. I went as far to schedule a surgery with perhaps the best HT doctor before backing out. If I had kept the surgery, I would have the 2000 graft procedure performed today.

I am glad that I did not go through with it. I am not ready psychologically.Perhaps time will tell if it was a wise decision.

I have not ruled out a HT, but I don't think that this was the right time for me to have a FIT.

I am wondering and would appreciate opinions to a different approach I am considering.As a first timer, what would you think about a smaller session, say 500 FUE grafts with the donor area being extracted lower than typical. I mean, I generally shave hair from the back of my neck to approx 2.5" below the occipital protuberance.Perhaps my measurements are not clinically accurate, but I believe most FIT ( and FUE) are extracted considerably above that.

Does it make sense to take a smaller # of FUE grafts from an area that falls in a more discrete area for a first time HT to:

A) have a smaller initial procedure as a test to see how a patient reacts

B) eliminate the long donor scar that can be quite problematic

and still have a cosmetically appreciable inpact in a smaller area?

This might allow for a better assessment of results before making an unequivocal commitment and have the surgeries spread out to allow for more gradual replacement without depleting the donor supply.

In short,..

Small FUE sessions with FUE's taken closer to the shirt-collar level on the scalp?

I have been considering a HT for a couple of years now. I went as far to schedule a surgery with perhaps the best HT doctor before backing out. If I had kept the surgery, I would have the 2000 graft procedure performed today.

I am glad that I did not go through with it. I am not ready psychologically.Perhaps time will tell if it was a wise decision.

I have not ruled out a HT, but I don't think that this was the right time for me to have a FIT.

I am wondering and would appreciate opinions to a different approach I am considering.As a first timer, what would you think about a smaller session, say 500 FUE grafts with the donor area being extracted lower than typical. I mean, I generally shave hair from the back of my neck to approx 2.5" below the occipital protuberance.Perhaps my measurements are not clinically accurate, but I believe most FIT ( and FUE) are extracted considerably above that.

Does it make sense to take a smaller # of FUE grafts from an area that falls in a more discrete area for a first time HT to:

A) have a smaller initial procedure as a test to see how a patient reacts

B) eliminate the long donor scar that can be quite problematic

and still have a cosmetically appreciable inpact in a smaller area?

This might allow for a better assessment of results before making an unequivocal commitment and have the surgeries spread out to allow for more gradual replacement without depleting the donor supply.

In short,..

Small FUE sessions with FUE's taken closer to the shirt-collar level on the scalp?

thinkingaboutit,

First of all, good to see you on the forums again. Second, putting off surgery is never a mistake. A mistake is rushing into one. Even though the two physicians you were considering are two of the best in the world at hair restoration surgery, the decision wouldn't be a "good" one unless you were mentally and psychologically prepared for the procedure. Any small doubt that you may have in the back of your mind pre-op could very well grow and escalate into a larger anxiety post-op. There is such a thing as post-op depression. One doesn't need to compound the possibility of that with worrying if he/she made the right decision.

About your plans for FUE, I think that you have a good grasp on a decent plan, but remember that follicle miniturization does not only occur at the top of the back of the head, it also starts at the bottom and works it's way up. You would still have to have the grafts pulled from around the same area, but not necessarily where it would impede with a future strip excision.

My worry is that you would be tinkering around with 500 grafts when what you really want is more. When we talked in Dr. Cooley's office you showed me what you wanted accomplished and 500 grafts just isn't going to cut it. It would be nothing more than a tease, really.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the procedure, but I am a big fan of limiting procedures when possible.

Perhaps in addition to posting this question on the forums, shoot an email back to the two docs you were previously considering for their view on it too.

Good luck, man. Your diligence and patience in research is something to be admired.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

This is an interesting idea. I don't see a real problem with it. That strip can be a bit of a pain in the rear. I think you would probably end up real happy with the 500 and then what do you do? More FUE or go with the strip?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Specs,

As you already know, promotional links to outside websites are not allowed on the Hair Restoration Research forums. We have attempted in the past to allow links that are not promotional in nature and/or were for the benefit of educational purposes. It always ended up getting out of hand so we have made it an across-the-board rule for all members. This includes links located in the signature line.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

The best thing about fue is that you can go for small size ht.

Something I do not think of with strip ht.

Do remember to get the donor area sealed to avoid white dot scarring.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your future decisions and outcome.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

I had a 1000 FIT session over a 2 day period with Dr Rose Sept 9th. Its a little early to see any results. I assume given 5-6 months there should be some definite changes that can be seen.

I plan to go back & have another FIT session in about 8 months to get some more density.

Smalled session seem reasonable to me. I healed very quickly after the FIT session. Do what you are comfortable with.