Suggested finasteride-free regimen

xxy

I know finasteride is considered the cornerstone of hair maintenence, but I'm not prepared to live with the side effects.

I'm 29 and I still hope to keep my hair, which is in the very beginning stages of NW2 (most people can't tell).

I was thinking about using topical Spironolactone cream and Nizoral a few times a week.

I'm also thinking about getting a laser comb. But do brand X ones do the trick or is there more to it?

I'm not sure about Rogaine as most people say it just seems to groow baby hairs, and it seems to be a lot of trouble.

Any other suggestions/additions?

Incidentally, I'm an ex-patriate in China, so I don't always have all options available. I'm currently trialing some kind of Chinese tonic that I was recommended in a pharmacy when I first went to ask about finasteride. It stinks but who knows whether it'll help (or make things worse!)

Originally posted by xxy:

I know finasteride is considered the cornerstone of hair maintenence, but I'm not prepared to live with the side effects.

I'm 29 and I still hope to keep my hair, which is in the very beginning stages of NW2 (most people can't tell).

I was thinking about using topical Spironolactone cream and Nizoral a few times a week.

I'm also thinking about getting a laser comb. But do brand X ones do the trick or is there more to it?

I'm not sure about Rogaine as most people say it just seems to groow baby hairs, and it seems to be a lot of trouble.

Any other suggestions/additions?

Incidentally, I'm an ex-patriate in China, so I don't always have all options available. I'm currently trialing some kind of Chinese tonic that I was recommended in a pharmacy when I first went to ask about finasteride. It stinks but who knows whether it'll help (or make things worse!)

So, you don't want to take finasteride, an FDA approved drug that is used by millions of men all over the world, but you take your chances with a stinky Chinese tonic that no one has ever heard about?

It's your decision and I don't want to be rude, but that's crazy.

Originally posted by Flavio:

So, you don't want to take finasteride, an FDA approved drug that is used by millions of men all over the world, but you take your chances with a stinky Chinese tonic that no one has ever heard about?

It's your decision and I don't want to be rude, but that's crazy.

I know you're a big Finasteride fan, and experienced excellent results, but not everyone is as lucky as you are.

It's not that I don't want to "take a chance" with it - I've already tried it.

I experienced side effects (weaker erections, aching joints) so it doesn't matter how small the % of people by affected it, I'm obviously part of that small percentage.

I could have tried to ride it out, but frankly, I'm not prepared to sacrifice my sex life (and put up with joint pain) for however many months it would take to see it out. Obviously my body needs DHT more than yours (and millions of men around the world) does.

Anyway, the side effects usually aren't permanent, but considering that I'm already part of that small minority, then I'd rather not push my luck further.

In summary - I'm not anti-Finasteride, but it's simply not suitable for me.

As for the Chinese tonic, it's pretty successful in China - you may not have heard of it, but people here certainly have. It's based on traditional Chinese medicine, so it's herbal/natural. Worst case I'll just stop using it.

Outside of all this, I already stated in my first post that I don't want to use Finasteride, so aside from adopting the Finasteride defense stance and calling me crazy, do you have any suggestions or other products that you could recommend?

Onlineonline - thanks for the info about Spiro. It's a bit disappointing to hear, but oh well.

What about what I said about Rogaine? Do the hairs it grows ever get mature? Or just stay all small and downy?

XXY,

Welcome to the forum. Basically most opinions on here will gravitate towards three products.

The first being finasteride which you say you had sides from (so did I), the next is rogaine and many folks on here will use Nizoril 2% shampoo. Only finasteride and minoxidil are proven to regrow hair. Nizoril 2% will be more for scalp health. 2% needs a prescription in the US. Regarding minoxidil, I actually had good luck with it. I did show some regrowth of strong, non miniturized hairs. In a worse case senario, it should slow down the process of losing your hair.

There are some folks that like natural things such as a good daily multim vitamin and other natural supplements. Things such as MSM and Biotin are good for the growth of hair but not growing new hair. Of course this routine should always include some form of exercise and finally good eating habits. Beyond that, if you are looking for a more permanent solution, you may want to consider an HT. If that is the case, this is a great resource for beginning your research. Hope this helps, Clint

xxy:

You tried finasteride and it does not work for you. Fine.

However, for you to use some unproven junk in China, that is also your prerogative. Note that it is not because it is being used for thousand of years by the Chineses that it means that it works. Nor, that because it is natural that it is not harmful to you. Considering the stuff the Chineses are putting into their products nowadays (melamine in milk, lead in paint, contaminated wheat gluten in pet foods etc...) I am surprised you are not more concerned. Do it at your own risk.

Considering you are only at NW2, try Rogaine. If hairloss advances further to, say NW3, you may consider HT.

Advice to the forum's member: don't try this Chinese crap at all cost.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I will tell you that I have been taking Finasteride now for about two months now with NO SIDE EFFECTS. In fact my Libido has been better and with stronger erections, and this is with the original thought that the opposite would happen! Call me an exception I don't know; but I have yet to experience and other side effects I have read about, total BS... things are better than ever for this 47 year old

Originally posted by Clint69:

XXY,

Welcome to the forum. Basically most opinions on here will gravitate towards three products.

The first being finasteride which you say you had sides from (so did I), the next is rogaine and many folks on here will use Nizoril 2% shampoo. Only finasteride and minoxidil are proven to regrow hair. Nizoril 2% will be more for scalp health. 2% needs a prescription in the US. Regarding minoxidil, I actually had good luck with it. I did show some regrowth of strong, non miniturized hairs. In a worse case senario, it should slow down the process of losing your hair.

There are some folks that like natural things such as a good daily multim vitamin and other natural supplements. Things such as MSM and Biotin are good for the growth of hair but not growing new hair. Of course this routine should always include some form of exercise and finally good eating habits. Beyond that, if you are looking for a more permanent solution, you may want to consider an HT. If that is the case, this is a great resource for beginning your research. Hope this helps, Clint

Thanks for the reply Clint. It's encouraging to hear what you have to say about Rogaine. Have you come across any significant complaints about Rogaine side effects?

I'm actually more like a NW1, than NW2, so perhaps the baby hair thing is more for people trying to rejuvenate mostly inert follicles.

I've also read a lot about Soy milk, which I've been drinking lately. I must say that hairloss among European/Caucasians is ffar more common than in Asians. Perhaps it's just genetic, or perhaps it's something in the diet. I've read some interesting stats that hairloss has become more prevalent and occuring earlier in Chinese men in the wealthier, coastal cities where a more westernised lifestyle is being led.

I'll pass on the HT option though. It's a bit invasive for my liking. I'm not really a fan of surgery, and in a lot of cases I find it kind of obvious. I know there are some awesome HT doctors out there, but I don't know if I could afford it either the surgery or the time off/plane tickets to go get it done (I don't want to do it in China. There might be good HT doctors here, but I wouldn't know and I'd rather consult in my first language.)

Originally posted by rjnebbo:

I will tell you that I have been taking Finasteride now for about two months now with NO SIDE EFFECTS. In fact my Libido has been better and with stronger erections, and this is with the original thought that the opposite would happen! Call me an exception I don't know; but I have yet to experience and other side effects I have read about, total BS... things are better than ever for this 47 year old

Just because you didn't experience them, it doesn't make them BS. I'm envious, really. I wish it was simple as just taking Finasteride now and that would be all I really need to worry about. I thought it would be that simple, and I liked my chances and frankly didn't even consider it a possibility that I'd fall into that 2%.

It's been 2 weeks since I stopped the Finasteride and I'm almost completely back to normal.

rjnebbo,

Side effects are certainly not BS. Just because you have not had them does not me that you will not or that others have not.

XXY,

The only complaints of side effects that I have heard anyone complain about was dry scalp. That can be addressed with certain shampoos and conditioners though. Being that you are a NW1 or NW2, I would say that is a good option for you. There are other sides that have been reported with rogaine but nothing significant IMO. Side effect information will be included in the literature that you receive with the box when you purchase rogaine. It really is a good product. Good luck, CLint

One more question - I know I can research it myself, and I'm in the process of doing so, but more feedback is also welcome...

Are generic minoxidil products problematic?

What's the difference in the different percentages in minoxidil?

Has anyone here used a lasercomb?

I read that an independent doctor did a small not terribly scientific survey or something, and found some regrowth and perhaps no further hairloss in about 20-30% of the users. I'm not going to spring for a hairmax comb, but I was considering a generic lasercomb, too.

I have heard that some using other brands of minoxidil have had issues and after switching to the rogaine brand, things were fine. I have never used other brands of minoxidil so I can not be sure. If you buy the rogaine brand, I think your safe. That being said, results do vary from person to person but in general it is effective. Also, I think that general opinions regarding laser combs is that they are ineffective. I wouldnt waste your money on one.

Someone on another forum just said that using minoxidil will put finasteride into the bloodstream?

I didn't think it contained Finasteride, but maybe I misread the post?

Originally posted by xxy:

[...]

Outside of all this, I already stated in my first post that I don't want to use Finasteride, so aside from adopting the Finasteride defense stance and calling me crazy, do you have any suggestions or other products that you could recommend?

[...]

I said your decision was crazy, I didn't say you were crazy.

Chinese meds are sh**. I know it's not politically correct to say it, but it's the truth. Again, I wouldn't do it if I were you, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.

i have been using minoxidil for nearly 10 years, and I believe it has slowed my hair loss. I finally had a HT a week ago as I was unhappy with the thin crown. I never went bald using Minoxidil, but I still slowly got thinner on the crown. I stopped using Rogaine as soon as I found generics at a fraction of the cost. I am using the Target brand currently, but they do not have a foam.

I will be getting a prescription for Proscar tomorrow when I get my stitches removed, and I am a bit nervous.