Doc. help please, Have a slight concern, about scabbing.

I am 12 days post op. My scabbing is starting to fall off. My question is this.

Some hairs are coming out with the scabs. I noticed this 3 days agoand recent. It only happens with a few of them, but obviously, a few is too many.

Are these the grafts coming out, or is it just the shock loss? No bleeding is following, and upon examining the hairs that came out, they seem fine, and sometimes they are grouped in multilpes(2-4).

Also, wanted to state I helped the scabs off because they were stuck the the hairs. I did not pick them, they were already lose.

Thanks for your response.

Just was wondering if this was normal.

I am 12 days post op. My scabbing is starting to fall off. My question is this.

Some hairs are coming out with the scabs. I noticed this 3 days agoand recent. It only happens with a few of them, but obviously, a few is too many.

Are these the grafts coming out, or is it just the shock loss? No bleeding is following, and upon examining the hairs that came out, they seem fine, and sometimes they are grouped in multilpes(2-4).

Also, wanted to state I helped the scabs off because they were stuck the the hairs. I did not pick them, they were already lose.

Thanks for your response.

Just was wondering if this was normal.

I did more reading around the forum, and must have over looked a posting about someone else with the same concern. I realize, that I don't have anything to worry about. Thanks anyway. If you have anything to add, please do. I could use the knowledge.

rooster75,

I lost the majority of my transplanted hairs when the scabs fell off. I probably only had 30 percent remaining by the time all the scabs were gone. Shortly after that the rest of the recipient hairs fell out. Longest 3 months of my life. Just recently have they started to grow back.

Don't worry everything you are experiencing is normal.

Cam

Hi Rooster75,

I experienced a very similar scab period back in June 2003 as you are now. It's good you quickly realized all is well. The only thing I want to add (if you don't already know) is soaking your head for 20 minutes in a warm bath once a day and/or applying baby oil before going to bed can both aid in shedding the scabs. Also, avoid any prolonged scalp exposure to the sun for a good month or so to prevent recipient skin damage/discoloration. You probably know all this already. Happy healing and future growing!

GratefulHead

Thanks for the input... This is was my secong procedure. The first time I didn't have the problem of losing hairs with the scabs. I think it may of had something to do with the frontal area. The first procedure was done there. Now I had it in front and crown. The crown is were I'm noticing it the most. But, not worried about it... NOW. Thanks for the tips and advise. I was fortune it enough not to have had this the first time, but raised questions on #2. Most all implants never shed and that's what caused the concern.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my HT in July and I always had a hat on to keep the new grafts out of the sun. I even went on vacation a month later and kept the hat on when I went into the beach.. And of course no seawater!

• 1 month later...

Just curious, but why no seawater?

There seems to be a lot of differing opinion on what is and is not advisable after surgery.

My Dr said that the grafts are basically set after 7 - 10 days. He said that there is really not a whole lot of damage that can be done from this point on.

Obviously sun burn on tender and pink skin would not be real clever. But, I am wondering if some people are unnecessarily being a little too cautious and putting the brakes on their lives a bit.

I would have thought that sea water would have, if anything, been beneficial.

I live in Australia ( Newcastle) and our beaches are clean. Is it that some of the sea water you are referring to is polluted?

I don't understand the drama about seawater. Please enlighten me.