looking for good surgeon in NYC

Hello all,

I've been losing a lot of hair since college, now it has gotten to a unbearable point of looking at myself in the mirror.

Please help me to recommend a good doctor/surgeon in NYC. Please also advise on what is the latest technology for hair transplant and if it is affordable.

Many Many Many thanks if anyone can share their value experience & knowledge.

Hairless in NY

Hello all,

I've been losing a lot of hair since college, now it has gotten to a unbearable point of looking at myself in the mirror.

Please help me to recommend a good doctor/surgeon in NYC. Please also advise on what is the latest technology for hair transplant and if it is affordable.

Many Many Many thanks if anyone can share their value experience & knowledge.

Hairless in NY

hairless in NY,

Here are a few doctors worth checking out in NY:

Dr. Feller of Feller Medical

Dr. True of True and Dorin

Dr. Dorin of True and Dorin

Dr. Bernstein

More information about each doctor can be found here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Before considering a hair transplant, however, please consider the following:

----

Many people ask about hair transplantation on our forums and the best way to go about it. Before anyone can advise them, however, it's important that they answer the following standard questions:.

1. Age: How old are you? Age can be a determining factor as to whether or not you are a good candidate for a hair transplant. Typically, the younger one is, the riskier it is to jump into surgery. Hairloss is unpredictable and donor supply is limited. Young people should proceed with caution when considering a hair transplant. I recommend that the younger folks read "Am I too young for a hair transplant" at http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

2. Norwood Scale and Graft Calculation: What level are you on the Norwood scale of hair loss? The Norwood scale (pictured below) will give a person a good idea as to how many grafts they would need in the event that they are a good candidate for an HT. Take your calculated Norwood level and multiple it by 1000 (conservative) to 1500 (liberal) grafts and that will determine approximately how many grafts are needed to achieve "decent" coverage and density of your balding regions.

Please Note: Hair loss is unpredictable. Just because one might be a Norwood (NW) 3 today, doesn't mean that person won't end up a NW 6 in the future. See number 3 below for how to minimize the risk of future loss.

3. Medication: In order to keep any native hair one might have, getting on finasteride and/or minoxodil is an important step to consider for long term hair restoration. Hair transplantation is NOT a cure for baldness. Instead, .it is a surgical procedure to move hair from one area of one's scalp to another. Again, hair loss is unpredictable. There is no way to really determine with certainly how much hair one will lose. So to lower the risk of losing more existing hair, medication might help slow down or stop hair loss. One might even re-grow some of their hair.

4. What is your family pattern of hair loss on both your mother and father's side? Though hair loss IS unpredictable, you can at least use the overall picture as a guide of sorts in determining where you MIGHT indeed fall.

5. Pictures: If you ask these questions on a forum, it is a good idea to post pictures of your individual hair loss situation. Post higher resolution photos that shows hair loss in detail. This will give people a chance to evaluate your situation and give you live feedback. NOTE: Most people on discussion forums are NOT professionals and should not be taken as medical advice. But those who have gone through this and are knowledgeable about hair transplantation should be able to give some sound advice. Always double check the advice you were given with a doctor.

Once you've considered the above, consider consulting with one of our coalition surgeons http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp who have a proven track record of consistent and positive results.

Research and education is the key to a successful surgery. Research and find a doctor that has a proven track record and one you are personally impressed with. Do not go by one person's results alone...research a dozen or more real patients to see their results. I'd even take the time to follow a patient fresh out of surgery who is a faithful monthly updater on a forum. That way you can be certain that the results are live and real, and not doctored. Ask questions and participate in forum discussions.

One last point...Please don't let emotions rush you into a decision. Take your time, learn, and educate yourself. An educated patient becomes a satisfied patient.

----

Bill

Hairless,

Please heed Bill' advice. He's been giving great advice to newbies like us for a long time and only has your best interests in mind.

You can't go wrong with any of the doctors on his list. I personally went to Dr. Feller in February and while it's too early to state my HT was a success, I had a great experience with him and his staff. He's a well known, proven HT doc and he uses the lastest and greatest tools/methods. He is very honest with his assesments and comes highly recommended on this and other sites.

My advice is to try to get consults with 2 or 3 of the NYC coalition docs. While each is highly accomplished, one might be more creative in a particular part of the HT process (e.g. crown work, natural hairline) so you'll want to choose a doc that will lead to the best results for YOUR situation and goals.

Best of luck and keep researching. Knowledge is king.

Jersey

Hairless,

I would like to reiterate the comments above and suggest taking enough time to visit a number of doctors, develop some realistic expectations, and determine if hair transplantation is really right for you.

Personally, I had a transplant with Dr. Bernstein last week. The procedure and recovery has been virtually painless, without any swelling, discomfort, or heavy crusting. While I was provided with medication/painkillers, I haven't taken any since the day after the surgery. As for the results, we'll have to wait and see.

While I am "now" comfortable going bald, I had the hair transplant because I already had a small procedure of 600 grafts when I was 22. This will not be enough to look normal and natural when I lose the rest of my hair and I can't shave or cut my hair really short with the donor scar, so I decided that I needed to finish what I started.

I felt comfortable with Dr. Bernstein because of his reputation as one of the pioneers in the field, positive feedback, and the fact that he was the only hair transplant physician to be selected as one of New York Magazine's Best Doctors for seven consecutive years. He is very knowledgeable, professional, meticulous, and on the conservative side.

While some view his conservative approach and reluctancy to recommend larger procedures/megasessions as a negative, this aspect actually happened to be a positive for me. With lower donor density and scalp laxity, I was primarily concerned with establishing a natural frontal hairline with some coverage, and decreasing the probability of the donor scar becoming visible in the future. Looking at some of his past patients gave me the impression that he may be more capable of doing more with less. However, I should also mention that he is probably a little bit more expensive on a per graft basis.

Regardless of what you choose to do and who you potentially go with, I would pay Dr. Bernstein a visit. He will give you an honest assessment, realistic expectations, and will not consider recommending something that is not in your best interests.