Dr. Jerry Cooley

Dob

I'm considering a HT with Dr. Jerry Cooley in Charlotte, N.C. Just wondering if anybody out there has already done so with him and would

care to share their opinion of how it went

and what I can expect, etc.

DOB,

I'm 23 weeks post-op from a 1500 graft HT with Dr. Cooley (late march of this year). I've mentioned my experience with him in past posts on this message board. I try to maintain a fair and objective opinion about my experience as well as any other topics here.

As far as the "numbers" go, let's see....

I was a Norwood 2/3 before the surgery. I had major thinning throughout all the existing hair on top. Seeing through to the scalp from above was very easy, but my hairline was around a NW 2/3. I had a 1500 graft strip HT, and all the grafts were pretty much dispersed through the existing hair. Before the surgery, I had wanted more grafts and had wanted to be a little more agressive, but after a talk with Dr. Cooley, I took a better look at long term plans. Also before the surgery, I knew in my head that I'd also want a 2nd HT down the road. Anyway, I'm glad I went with the number I went with as well as the placement which he recommended.

As far as the day of surgery and post-op support from his office, I have nothing but good things to say. The staff and doctor were both very helpful and pleasant throughout the day. During the surgery, I experienced very little pain. The only discomfort I really had was due to my own fault. They told me to mention whenever I started to feel anything in my scalp so they could inject more anesthesia. I'm the type of person to try to not be a bother to anyone, and also to make sure that I was really experiencing pain before I spoke up. So, I felt some little stinging later on in the surgery when I had waited a bit long to mention that. Someone in a prior post said it felt like "little bee stings" and that was pretty much right.

I was there from about 8:30am til a little after 5:30 or so. I cant remember exactly how many nurses were in the room throughout the entire procedure...you'd have to consult my past posts. Some nurses/techs were working with the microscopes in the back of the room while the doc and other nurses were working on my with the lateral slit incisions and placement,etc.

After the surgery, the doc gave me all his personal numbers in case I needed something. It was a friday, and the office would be closed on the weekend. He was adamant about me calling him if I needed anything, although I think he does that for all his patients weekend or no weekend. As of a week after the surgery, I'd not experienced any complications. He'd prescribed medicine for pain/to help me sleep, and I'd taken one the first night just to take one, but I never really needed that one and still have the rest left in a cabinet somewhere. I had a tiny bit of swelling, but nothing noticeable to anyone else.

A week after the surgery, Dr. Cooley removed the sutures in his office. Again, they were extremely pleasant and helpful. I had asked about another cosmetic detail (if you've been to his office, you know that other doctors there do cosmetic work, but he's pretty much just all HT). Anyway, he provided some cosmetic service there for no charge ( nothing major, but definitely something I could have been charged for).

Since then, I haven't had any shock loss and have felt great. There have been no other complications or problems. I cut my hair down to a #2, and no one, including my barber, has a clue that I've had anything done. I've DEFINITELY noticed that when I'm talking to people they no longer quickly glance or look up at my hairline....and that used to happen a LOT.

The more I look at my hair lately, the more I think I could be satisfied with this level for the rest of my life. It's not a full head of hair, but if I maintain the rest of my hair with propecia, I could definitely live with my current status.....even at this 6 month status. However, reading Uncjim's posts lately about his 8/9 month growth, I know I'm gonna be even more satisfied in the next half year.

Like I said before, I'm trying to be fair and objective about the whole thing...and, in fact, I'd like to mention that I'm a person in fairly good health with no major vices ( smoking, drinking, drugs, etc)...and those factors might make my results a little better than normal.

Even in my first or 2nd post, I'd mentioned that I could be furious a year from then that the surgery went horribly wrong or my hair looked like buckwheat or something. I still understand that I'm only 6 months and there's 6 more months where anything could go completely wrong with my results. BUT, I'm very confident that I'll be thrilled when I'm a year post-op. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go back to him.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to email you.

NC30,

Thanks so much for your reply, you provided more

information than I had hoped for. Yes, I have

been by his office for the consultation and am

now trying to work the surgery into my schedule.

I currently live in Tennessee but grew up in

Gastonia, as I noticed that's where you're from.

I remember reading one of your posts in the past. I asked Ailene at Cooley's office for some folks to call for reference, specifically asking for anyone from Gastonia. She said she'd get some names together for me next week. I'm gonna try

to get this done before the end of the year.

Thanks again, Dob

dob,

well, I'm glad I could help with the info. I'm actually not from gastonia, I just threw that down on the profile when I registered on this website. When I first registered, I was extremely paranoid that someone I know would read this site and put 2 and 2 together, so I just threw down one of the local cities as my hometown. I'm not completely sure if the people at the office ever made the connection between my name here and who I am since the geography is a little different.

I've called there once or twice post-op, and actually, I'm going to try to stop by sometime soon since I have to be in Charlotte. Again, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.