Pre HT pics and Diagnosis

Guest sac95816

Guest sac95816

I'm scheduled for a HT on Friday of 1200 - 1500 grafts. While this won't achieve full density or coverage, I'm hoping it'll give me a thining, but visible, hairline. The pics depict my hair wet and combed back, right out of the shower, and also the way I normally wear my hair, i.e. comb-down, over. ug.

I'd appreciate an accessment and opinions as to whether 1200-1500 grafts can have any cosmetic effect on such an expansive area of scalp.

thanks...damn problems posting, so I'll post a series of pics in different posts...oops.

Originally posted by sac95816:

I'm scheduled for a HT on Friday of 1200 - 1500 grafts. While this won't achieve full density or coverage, I'm hoping it'll give me a thining, but visible, hairline. The pics depict my hair wet and combed back, right out of the shower, and also the way I normally wear my hair, i.e. comb-down, over. ug.

I'd appreciate an accessment and opinions as to whether 1200-1500 grafts can have any cosmetic effect on such an expansive area of scalp.

thanks...damn problems posting, so I'll post a series of pics in different posts...oops.

Based on what I can tell from the photos, it looks like you don't have much area to cover. So I think you would achieve your goals describe above. You would roughly be getting half the grafts that I got, but only covering half as much area or less. See my pics here gorpy's pics. I definitely will see a cosmetic effect on my hair. Keep in mind that the entire first cm of my hairline is all transplanted hair.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Sac, I just looked at your pics posted on the other site. They show your hair loss much clearer. I'm not sure what happend with the pics you posted here. Based on those pics, I take back what I said. You appear to have a fairly large area to cover. Almost as much as mine. I'm not sure 12 to 15 hundred is going to get you what you want.

You'd be better off waiting till you can afford the whole enchilada.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Guest sac95816

Gorpy

Thanks for the response. I've viewed your photos several times and have followed your progress. I've employed the very same logic you suggested. Namely, I've seen people use larger numbers of grafts to cover larger areas of scalp, then I've attempted to ascertain what fraction of that area I need grafts in and figure out what percentage of the grafts would be required to cover my balding scalp. Still, 1200-1500 isn't much and I'm pretty bald (but lov'n the combover ). I hate having this uncertainty so close to D-day.

Thanks again and good grow'n to you.

Sac

Guest sac95816

Gorb

What's the harm in a series of HTs? I know laxity, scar tissue, damage to donor hair with multiple procedures, etc. But most hair transplanters undergo more than one anyway. So, one surgery to achieve that 1980s Bruce Willis soul-patch of shafts on top (perfect to thicken up that combover). Then, in a couple of years a more substantial 2500 grafts? I know we live in the age of the megga session but for years most Drs were performing multiple surgeries (I know corn rows, cobblestone, dolls head happened too). But look at the forum moderater here, for example. he had 3 surgeries of 1400 I belive and looks great.

Anyway, food for thought. Thanks for the response. Glad to see I'm not the onlyone surfin the forums.

Sac

Guest sac95816

Gorpy

This is the abridged response to your post: WHY. Using the infamous Enchilada metaphore: I can't afford the whole enchilada but I'm still hungry so I'll buy half an enchilada.

I see what you mean Sac. I don't mean to be negative at all. From my understanding (and I could be wrong), getting the whole 2500 or so in one session would be better than two smaller sessions. I only say that because you would be placing the grafts the second time in the same area, which means a greater chance of follicle transection in the recipient area, i.e. shock loss (maybe permanent). Others have said the the first HT tends to be the "best".

But when you're hungry, half an enchilada can certainly partially satisfy that craving icon_wink.gif

Ideally Sac, you would be better off with more time to study it and consult with multiple doctors.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

sac you should start a photo album.

i would say you are a norwood 4 or so as your hairloss seems quite extensive.

1200 is not a lot of grafts. you should be very realistic in your end result, but it will give you a bit of hair that you long for.

good luck, keep us posted.

cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

more scalp...guess my NW, I've heard anywhere from 3, unlikely, to NW 5...maybe.

The front of your head looks as bad as mine and I'm getting 2500 in the front 1/3.

PB

Guest sac95816

Thanks for the replies. I've canceled my HT procedure for Friday. I'll wait until I can afford a larger session with a first rate doc. H & W have consistently produced superior results. Until then, I've shaved my head and decided to wear a false mustache and glasses jk.

Thanks again for your insights, reflections, and opinions. You may have rescued me from the siren's song of a bad HT.

Sac

Thanks for the replies. I've canceled my HT procedure for Friday. I'll wait until I can afford a larger session with a first rate doc. H & W have consistently produced superior results. Until then, I've shaved my head and decided to wear a false mustache and glasses jk.

Thanks again for your insights, reflections, and opinions. You may have rescued me from the siren's song of a bad HT.

Sac

If that good-looking woman in the pictures is your girlfriend, I suggest you marry her quickly while you still have some hair icon_wink.gif

PB

sac,

I'm pleased that you understood the opinions of the above posters. The issue definately isn't whether or not you can do multiple smaller sessions. Of course that can be done. But since your area you want to cover is already almost completely bald, you don't have to worry about shockloss where the new hairs are being transplanted. That being said, I'd say you may need at least 2000, but probably more like 2500+ to accomplish a decent hairline and some density. My judgement is a bit off on the grafts though, because the pics don't show your hairloss very well. Try pulling back the combovered hair and take more pics. Have someone take the pics for you if you could.

Also, you look young....so if you are not taking any medication for your hairloss, I suggest checking out Propecia and getting on it ASAP. The concern is, because you are young, your hairloss may continue depending on your pattern of hairloss. Propecia will help slow or stop that process.

Bill