when can i touch my grafts?

I had an HT procedure about a week ago. Everything is healing ok. I am wondering when can I touch my grafts or sleeping on them? I am still going and soaking my head in the tub twice a day without touching them.. (and still sleeping on my back for the whole night)..

thanks

basic

I had an HT procedure about a week ago. Everything is healing ok. I am wondering when can I touch my grafts or sleeping on them? I am still going and soaking my head in the tub twice a day without touching them.. (and still sleeping on my back for the whole night)..

thanks

basic

Didn't your doc recommend you washing them GENTLY? Mine gave me post-op instructions to start washing gently (lathering the shampoo in your hands first, then using a patting motion in the graft areas and rinsing off with water poured from a cup over the head) starting the day after surgery! After a week post-op, it was supposed to be OK to put your head under the shower spray. By two weeks out, you should be able to return to washing hair as normal.

I was pretty careful with mine, too. I slept in a recliner for almost 3 weeks, and patted on the shampoo for a full two weeks.

Call your doc for post-op instructions.

yes, he gave me instructions where it says after 4 days you can gently pour the soapy water onto your head - but not rub the grafts icon_smile.gif

so, i was wondering when should I start icon_smile.gif

Anyway - extra caution is a good thing.

thanks for the reply.

basic

basic,

At day 10 your grafts are seated so after that it should be smooth sailing by all accounts. Touching or sleeping on the grafts should be fine. Unfortunately, they likely be starting to shed soon so touch them while you can icon_wink.gif.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Jagdish,

I sent you a PM.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Yes. It is likely you will lose 80% or so of your grafts. After being transplanted and the hair falls it will go into a dormant phase which lasts anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months. When growth starts, the hairs will be thin and wispy then thicken over time. It usually takes around 6 months to get fairly noticable results.

Weren't you informed by your surgeon that the HT hair would fall within a few weeks after surgery?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I see. we have not spoken about this in particular.. I knew about shock loss but there are so many different opinions.. Some people say they never lost a graft - this is why it was not very clear.. but this is not a shock loss - this is some other 'loss' I assume.

thx

basic

Right! Shock loss can occur different ways...............native hair that you transplant around can be shocked out (may or may not return), HT hair from a previous HT can be shocked out but will return and you can have shock loss around the donor area.

IMO most will experience some shock loss unless you are NW 5 or 6 with no native hair other than sides and back. It is VERY rare that someone would never lose a graft. I would estimate that over 90% of HT patients will lose 80% of their grafts during the dormant phase.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog