Minoxidil on hair transplant

This is a two part question.

Is it safe to use Rogaine 5% (Minoxidil) 2 months after receiving a hair transplant?

If it is safe has anyone had any luck growing hair in the frontal portion of the scalp just behind the hairline?

I have hundreds of miniaturized hairs like peach fuzz all over my scalp. These hairs were actually there before the HT. I was just wondering if anyone had something similar and was successful, with a combination of Propecia and Rogaine, regenerating growth of those miniaturized hairs. I have only been using Propecia for two months and the peach fuzz is much more noticeable now. Can Rogaine aid in accelerating the growth?

This is a two part question.

Is it safe to use Rogaine 5% (Minoxidil) 2 months after receiving a hair transplant?

If it is safe has anyone had any luck growing hair in the frontal portion of the scalp just behind the hairline?

I have hundreds of miniaturized hairs like peach fuzz all over my scalp. These hairs were actually there before the HT. I was just wondering if anyone had something similar and was successful, with a combination of Propecia and Rogaine, regenerating growth of those miniaturized hairs. I have only been using Propecia for two months and the peach fuzz is much more noticeable now. Can Rogaine aid in accelerating the growth?

Cam, I would definetely ask your doctor's opinion on this, but, several have said that it is safe after a transplant...some really recommend it more than others. It is suppose to help it grow in better and perhaps faster. As for the second part, minoxidil does help the finer hairs possibly become more terminal in many, and I have heard it works even in the front with some.

mj,

Thanks for your response. I am still up in the air with using Rogaine. I heard the new hairs can become addicted, so to speak, to the new drug. I definitely don't want that so I guess I will hold off on it for awhile.

Thanks again,

Cam

Hi Cam

I can speak from experience on this. I have been using Rogaine for years. There is discussion about hair becoming addicted to it, but I'm not so sure that's entirely valid. What happens when you stop using it is that your hair does shed a lot, but I have heard arguments that this is only your hair returning to the point of balding that it would have been had you never taken Rogaine. This makes some sense to me.

As for use after a HT, my doc recommended it, so I started using it (5%) after 10 days post-op, and for me, I started seeing regrowth at just 5 weeks. I believe the Rogaine helps speed this process. I now use it once a day.

My hair loss is entirely in the frontal area, and it has helped, even though the labeling says it only works in the crown.

Hope that answers some questions for you.

Tedd

Thanks Tedd,

Makes me feel a little better knowing that a HT doctor recommends it for his patients. I will probably limit the use to once a day in the evenings. It's kind of a pain to apply twice a day as they recommend.

I'm also glad to hear you are having success with growth in the frontal area of the scalp. I have heard from others that it is working in that are for them as well. I figure these miniaturized hairs are either going to never grow or die so I may as well give it a try.

Thanks for your reply,

Cam

I had the massive shedding associated with quitting Rogaine and have mentioned it in past posts. I think Tedd probably said it best that you will most likely return to the point of where you were balding once you quit rogaine. I'm not sure I ever posted that point before, and I don't think i ever asked my doctor about the possibility of new hairs becoming addicted or minoxidil dependent. He did encourage me HT post-op to use rogaine to promote intial growth with the grafts, but then left it up to me whether or not I'd continue to use rogaine beyond that. After suffering the massive shedding before, I chose to quit completely and just use propecia.

I started minox 5% 2 days after my HT and did not have any negative side effect. My feeling is that is has stopped or at least slowed down losing my 'original' hairs and helped the transplanted hairs to grow. There are virtually no hairs hairs on my pillow in the morning, this used to be quite different.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Hi poet I am 27 years old from bay area too and I have been using Propecia and Rogaine more than a year already, but I have not seen good results yet. I have been thinking hair transplantation lately, but I am not sure if it's worth it. If you could give me any suggestion, I would appreciate very much.

Thanks........