Donor density question

Hello all my bros, I have a question...

Recently, i had plucked a few hairs out from the back of my head and compared them to some hairs i plucked out from the top of my head. The hairs on the top of my head were a million times thicker compared to the back of the head.... So, the question is how does that match up and how do docs make it look natural if the back of the head's hairs dont match up in thickness with the top?

Hello all my bros, I have a question...

Recently, i had plucked a few hairs out from the back of my head and compared them to some hairs i plucked out from the top of my head. The hairs on the top of my head were a million times thicker compared to the back of the head.... So, the question is how does that match up and how do docs make it look natural if the back of the head's hairs dont match up in thickness with the top?

You've just discovered something ominous. The thinner hairs are thinner because of "miniaturization" caused by male pattern baldness. The areas of your head that you find the individual hairs looking thinner like that are the areas that will be going bald in a few years.

The thicker hairs aren't getting hit with MPB, so they are maintaining their shaft thickness and length.

------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by pushing 40:

That's weird. My hair was exactly opposite; the hairs on the back and sides were VERY much thicker than those on top.

I was actually going to say the same thing. Where in the back did you specifically pluck it from?

Sometimes issues with variable hair shaft diameter can be overcome and blended with the pattern, distribution, and density of the transplanted hair.

I am curious, if your hair on top is so thick, what are you hoping to do with a transplant? Hairline rebuild, perhaps? Also, is your donor area visibly thin?

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.