Regarding prescriptions...

sensesfail

Hey.... new here... 19 yr old in Indiana. I've noticed my hair line receding and a horse shoe shaped 'thinning out' in my hair that hasn't quite gone yet. I'm gunna guess you all know the story... but what I'm wondering is if any doctor can prescribe proscar/propecia. I'm near positive my medical plan won't cover a visit specifically for something such as this, since it's cosmetic... so I was wondering if I went in for a physical (I'm overdue anyways), could I get a prescription for it then?

Also, I wondered if you guys would suggest that as the best course of action.... seems like alot of people find rogaine to be messy and basically not worth the hassle. But I'd probably do it if that was the best way.

Definately am not ready to start losing my hair at 19 - especially since all I do is play music for a 17-19 crowd who I'm sure won't think it's cool... Sucks that it has to be that way.

To answer your question, yes, any doctor can prescribe any medication. That doesn't mean they will do it, but you can always ask.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Any doctor should be able to prescribe you Propecia. Most will not prescribe Proscar, unless you have a prostate problem. If you use rogaine in conjuction with propecia you should get better results, especially since your hair loss just started.

Yes! Go to your doctor and get propecia. Assuming you can afford it, starting at 19 with a propecia and minox regime should get you in the right direction. Younger guys tend to bounce back quicker...the sooner you start the better the results (normally). I didnt start until I was 24...wished i had started at 20 when I first noticed my crown going...probably would have a much nicer hairline right now icon_wink.gif

Good luck and keep us posted.

Inquire about Proscar but don't expect your physician to accept it as a suitable substitute for Propecia. Remember that with Minoxidil if you start using it, you cannot stop for as long as you want to reap its' benefits. This is very important, as minoxidil can be a real pain sometimes. I would recommend using it for a week straight and then assessing if you can really put up with it in your schedule after that. If you truly believe that you can, minoxidil can be a great addition to your regimen.

Good luck to you.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog