Is it worth it - a few questions

going back for #2 soon - #1 was 20 years ago. i'm very self consious and i see a littl "plugginess" although others probably don't. i'm at that point in my life (40's) where i really don't mind balding as much as i did in my 20s - however my biggest concern is for there to be no way anyone can tell i had a ht - is this possible? everyone knows what we go through - the constant worrying what people are staring at - not letting people above and behind you - making sure light not on you. i can't take it anymore.

Will the HT be worth it and give me my quality of life back?

Can i drive myself to a hotel after the ht, spend the night and drive 3 hours home the next day?

How long after HT would I be able to run a couple of miles per day? lift weights?

If I take a week off from work will that give enough time that the HT isn't as noticeable?

Is there a specific time of year that might be best for HT? Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter?

going back for #2 soon - #1 was 20 years ago. i'm very self consious and i see a littl "plugginess" although others probably don't. i'm at that point in my life (40's) where i really don't mind balding as much as i did in my 20s - however my biggest concern is for there to be no way anyone can tell i had a ht - is this possible? everyone knows what we go through - the constant worrying what people are staring at - not letting people above and behind you - making sure light not on you. i can't take it anymore.

Can i drive myself to a hotel after the ht, spend the night and drive 3 hours home the next day?

How long after HT would I be able to run a couple of miles per day? lift weights?

If I take a week off from work will that give enough time that the HT isn't as noticeable?

Is there a specific time of year that might be best for HT? Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter?

Struggling,

maybe Im not the best person to address your central question, since I have NOT had a ht yet, but Ill put in my two cents and answer the rest.

-I've seen MANY cases of the old "pluggy" work and I personally couldn't stand having the anxiety/self-consciousness of fearing that it was exposed. I assume your familiar with how advanced ht's are now compared to previous work and they are virtually undetectable. That being said, I've heard nothing but praise from guys who go to a world class doc even from guys who didn't have repair work done. I would think the reward would be even greater for one who has existing sub-par work on their noggin.

-I wouldn't want to be driving myself anywhere imm. after the surgery or anywhere the next day. Im sure you could drive yourself home the next day, just personally Im going to lock myself in the hotel room with a chastity belt locked to my dome so I don't risk any of my new babies.

-each clinic has their own post op suggestions/guidelines, but that being said I think the general rule is 2 weeks post-op after the staples are removed, and only doing what your body permits due to scalp tightness.

-depending on how much native hair you have left, most top docs require that your recipient area be shaved to get a better read on the angle of your hair growth, to minimize the potential for transection which could cause either temporary or permanent shock loss. So, after a week if your head IS shaved your more than likely still going to have some pink/redness on your scalp.

-I guess this would only depend on if your planning on hiding under a hat for a few months and only feel comfy w/ a hat on during a specific season. I never hear others talk about this, but personally I would *hate* to have to hide under a hat during spring/summer.

struggling, I would tell you that the details do work themselves out as you go along and get more and more information. I chose a doctor who prefers shaving you down on top so I wore a hat for 3 months. I started walking and doing everything pretty regularly almost immediately--except for not lifting anything even moderately heavy, pulling, pushing so as not to stretch my donor, and I quickly found out how many muscles, tendons are connected to that donor area. Post some pictures to get a better idea of what your hair looks like now, and the last important thing by far is: Don't hesitate to go anywhere in the world to see a great recommended doctor. It's easier than driving 3 hours, and you're reimbursed partially if not fully for hotel and flight!

In general, it's hard to say if a HT is really going to elevate a person's life. Honestly, I think each patient needs to come to their own understanding about what having more hair really means to them. Repair is an exception though. Fixing older work is important and it is almost always a quality-of-life issue.

I would encourage you to look into repair work. HT surgery is a "buyer-beware" situation, as you know, but there are some good repair options available today too. There is reason to be optimistic so definitely check out your online resources and do multiple physician consults.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.