use minox before and after and you MIGHT keep your grafts!!

In a study of 12 male patients with MPB, 3% topical minoxidil was administered twice a day to the transplant area starting 48-72 hours after hair transplant surgery. Two patients demonstrated hair growth without the usual shedding 2-4 weeks after surgery and two additional patients had regrowth within 4 months after post-surgical telogen effluvium.

In another uncontrolled trial of 16 male hair transplant patients with MPB, minoxidil 2% was administered for 4 weeks prior to surgery, interrupted for 3 weeks, then restarted and continued for 3 months after surgery. The study found that in 71% of grafts, partial or total hair was still growing without the usual shedding that occurs 2-4 weeks after surgery.

The effectiveness of administering topical minoxidil prior to hair restoration surgery was also documented in a double blind study in which 12 males with MPB were randomized to have either minoxidil 2% topical solution or placebo applied to the donor area for 6 weeks prior to transplantation and to recipient areas for 17 weeks after surgery. After 17 weeks, significantly less grafted hair was shed by minoxidil-treated patients as compared with placebo-treated patients (22 vs. 52%).

http://www.morphollica.com/news_interviews/minoxidil-ha...ansplants-dr-lee.php

In a study of 12 male patients with MPB, 3% topical minoxidil was administered twice a day to the transplant area starting 48-72 hours after hair transplant surgery. Two patients demonstrated hair growth without the usual shedding 2-4 weeks after surgery and two additional patients had regrowth within 4 months after post-surgical telogen effluvium.

In another uncontrolled trial of 16 male hair transplant patients with MPB, minoxidil 2% was administered for 4 weeks prior to surgery, interrupted for 3 weeks, then restarted and continued for 3 months after surgery. The study found that in 71% of grafts, partial or total hair was still growing without the usual shedding that occurs 2-4 weeks after surgery.

The effectiveness of administering topical minoxidil prior to hair restoration surgery was also documented in a double blind study in which 12 males with MPB were randomized to have either minoxidil 2% topical solution or placebo applied to the donor area for 6 weeks prior to transplantation and to recipient areas for 17 weeks after surgery. After 17 weeks, significantly less grafted hair was shed by minoxidil-treated patients as compared with placebo-treated patients (22 vs. 52%).

http://www.morphollica.com/news_interviews/minoxidil-ha...ansplants-dr-lee.php

Asterisk,

Very interesting.

I know that minoxidil didn't help me maintain any of the transplanted hairs for my first surgery. I basically used it up to before surgery and then for 3 months after (like the uncontrolled study of 16 male patients presented above). I guess I wasn't one of the lucky 71%.

Thanks for presenting this.

Best wishes,

Bill