Anyone have experience with Dr. Alpeter, Jr.?

saturnsc

Nope, never heard of him. What I have heard of is many negative experiences of those who have been to Bosley. They seem to be great marketers but have less skill consistently than do other surgeons as the ones that are proven and recommended by this site. I'd strongly urge you to get other opinions (if you've seen him already) before you jump in.

Care to share the details of your situation? Age, range on Norwood scale, whether or not you're doing anything for loss prevention? The more information you can provide the better assistance we can offer you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Welcome to the forum, stay away from Bosley Clinics. As you read more here you'll discover why, at best their results are very inconsistent, you don't want to take the chance and become one of the too many dissatisfied patients.

Give us your stats, pictures, taking Finasteride?, etc ...

Care to share the details of your situation? Age, range on Norwood scale, whether or not you're doing anything for loss prevention? The more information you can provide the better assistance we can offer you.

Hi hairbank, thanks for your reply. Here are the details. I'm 28, white, norwood scale 5A, and I've just started taking Propecia. I met with Dr. Alpeter, Jr. yesterday at the Bosley Practice and he didn't seem "salesman" at all, just straight to the point. He recommended 1800 grafts in one session.

If you're a 5A, 1800 FU's is way too few.

You'll need at least 5,000 for good coverage and another 1 to 2,000 for nice density.

Good thing you are on Propecia, when it's time to renew switch to 1/4 pill of generic Proscar daily, you'll save a ton of money.

BUT, because you're still young, you might want to wait about one year on Finasteride to see how much it has slowed or stopped the hairloss or even started to regrow hair before considering a HT. Post pictures here, it will help.

saturnsc-

HK's right on...................1800 grafts for a NW5 will not be near enough. Unless there's some specific reason for holding back, you might consider going somewhere you can get a little more bang for your buck. I was NW4-5 before my two HT's totaling more than 5000 grafts and I still would like a little more density and some temple work. It takes lots of grafts to have the appearance of any measure of density. You may try using this Graft Calculator to esimate what you will need based on your loss. You really must have at least 45 grafts per cm2 to have the appearance of density.

As for the Doc, before I'd ever consider one from Bosley, I'd want to see lots of before and afters and meet some patients. I'm not saying NONE of them can do good work, there just have been many horror stories of their poor quality over the years not to mention higher pricing than you would receive from better surgeons. Do some research on this site using the "find" feature.

Good Luck!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

click on my Hair Loss Weblog............before HT#1 I was considered at least NW4 with diffused thinning on top.

This was a quick link I found for the Norwood scale....you may want to check it out.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog