My major concerns about getting a HT, please help.

Guest youngguy24

Guest youngguy24

I'm 24 years old and have been losing my hair since I was 19 or 20. I am currently a Norwood 3V or 4 with a slightly receding hairline. I am diffusely thin on the top of my head. My father is 55 years old and is a Norwood 6. From what I have read and from my current hair loss pattern I would say I'll definitely, eventually be a Norwood 6 like my father. By the way I am on Propecia and have been using it for more than two years (I used it every other day for about 4 months....very bad idea ?????’). After thinking about a HT seriously for the past year I've come to the conclusion that I want Dr. Hasson to do my procedure. The two aspects of having a HT that concern me the most are will I become a Norwood 7 and if I do then what? At what age to most men become a Norwood 7? My other concern is when I choose to have children how long do I have to go off Propecia. I know many of you will say I don't need go off Propecia but I honestly don't know if it's worth the risk. I also don't know what my future wife would think about the use of Propecia while trying to conceive (since I haven't met her yet). I should also let you all know my goals. I would like a conservative hairline with a thin crown once the entire process is complete. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Guest youngguy24

I'm 24 years old and have been losing my hair since I was 19 or 20. I am currently a Norwood 3V or 4 with a slightly receding hairline. I am diffusely thin on the top of my head. My father is 55 years old and is a Norwood 6. From what I have read and from my current hair loss pattern I would say I'll definitely, eventually be a Norwood 6 like my father. By the way I am on Propecia and have been using it for more than two years (I used it every other day for about 4 months....very bad idea ?????’). After thinking about a HT seriously for the past year I've come to the conclusion that I want Dr. Hasson to do my procedure. The two aspects of having a HT that concern me the most are will I become a Norwood 7 and if I do then what? At what age to most men become a Norwood 7? My other concern is when I choose to have children how long do I have to go off Propecia. I know many of you will say I don't need go off Propecia but I honestly don't know if it's worth the risk. I also don't know what my future wife would think about the use of Propecia while trying to conceive (since I haven't met her yet). I should also let you all know my goals. I would like a conservative hairline with a thin crown once the entire process is complete. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

youngguy, Here are some of my thoughts: Well only time will tell if/when you will be a Norwood 7. If you are already a Norwood 4 at the age of 24, chances are you will be a Norwood 6 or possible 7; also your family history is a good indication on where you may head on the Norwood scale. However, by staying on Propecia, you may prevent/slow down hair loss, so you may not progress as far on the Norwood as you would of if you weren't taking it. Merck says that Propecia is safe to take--as far as when your "future wife" is trying to conceive. She just can't handle broken tablets. I'm sure Merck wouldn't risk major multi-million dollar law suits if there was a deformity in a new born because the father was taking propecia--I think it is safe under those circumstances.

IMO, If you wanted to be on the conservative side, stay on Propecia and wait until your early 30's and see how far your hair loss has progressed, and then make a decision on a HT. Or, or an aggressive approach would be to get a fairly large session right now, maybe 2500 grafts (give or take), and focus on the frontal third to frame your face. Propecia should help you maintain your crown for a long time. Then later on you could get another session depending on how far your hair loss has progressed. I would definitely stay on Propecia regardless if you decide on an HT or not, as long as you want to maintain/slow down your hair loss. Picture would help also.

Youngguy24, the treatments for hair loss are going to get seriously better. Your goal should be to try to keep as much of your hair as possible until other treatments are developed. I would take propecia and read as much as possible about any potential side effects-which may change over time although this drug as been arouns as proscar for alot of years prior to being approved for hair loss. However, based on the literature I have read, the only harm would be if the mother was handling broken pills which no woman who is considering having a baby should do. Right now I would not worry about things that may happen in the future. From your email you indicate you have not even met the woman you may have children with yet. In my opinion I would focus on real concerns you are presently facing and not create other things to worry about.

Guest youngguy24

Thanks for the responses. At the moment my hair is very short less than 1/8th of an inch. I plan on letting it grow out and once it's longer than half an inch I'll post pictures.

Guest youngguy24

Thank you for the complement Troy. I have not yet had a consultation with Dr. Hasson but plan on sending him photo's once my hair grows out. I don't see myself flying 3000+ miles for a consultation, but that's a different story for surgery. Sadly where my hair is thin it takes forever to grow out, I'm constantly trimming the area where hair isn't thinning. I believe the reason for the slow growth is because I have hundreds if not thousands of miniaturized thin colorless hairs in the thinning areas. Any ideas on how to thicken up those miniaturized hairs? I currently use propecia, 2% rogaine (waiting for my 5% dnc spectral to be shipped, it's the only minoxidil I have used that doesn't cause much scalp irritation, but its so expensive, sigh) and 1% Nizorol. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again for all your responses.

Guest youngguy24

Troy I took a look your weblog and we have a somewhat similar balding pattern. If you take a look at your 2 weeks post operation photo I can explain the differences in my pattern compared to yours. Compared to your photo I am much thinner in the hairline and the hair loss in the back is about the same but has stretched a little further on the back of my head. I hope this information is helpful and wish my hair loss was more gradual, although my hair loss doesn't appear to have change in the past year.