What am i on the NW-scale?

Belgiumdude

Hi guys, i always said i am a NW 2 going onto a 3 but i never known for sure this is correct. Can you tell me? I am 3 months away from being 21, i started proscar 2 weeks ago, so it is too early to judge if it has any results. Is it somehow possible to guess where i might end up? I never noticed my hair loss till a year ago, but now when i start seeing pics of me being 16 or 17 is see that was a small recession of the temples. so now, 5 years later, it hasnt changed that much actually, my father has no hairloss whatsoever, neither did his father, only my grandfather at mother's side was maybe a NW4 at the age of 75. PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THE LINE I MADE ON MY HEAD!!!! i was just drawing a line where my hairline was before but i am completely wrong, as you can see, i am not that much of a master with crayons icon_wink.gif, if you need other info as well, just ask. I hope maybe you guys can give me and idea. Thanks!!!

Greetz.

Image(07).jpg.ba1ac5491032a90bd4a7f39798030bcb.jpg

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

Hi guys, i always said i am a NW 2 going onto a 3 but i never known for sure this is correct. Can you tell me? I am 3 months away from being 21, i started proscar 2 weeks ago, so it is too early to judge if it has any results. Is it somehow possible to guess where i might end up? I never noticed my hair loss till a year ago, but now when i start seeing pics of me being 16 or 17 is see that was a small recession of the temples. so now, 5 years later, it hasnt changed that much actually, my father has no hairloss whatsoever, neither did his father, only my grandfather at mother's side was maybe a NW4 at the age of 75. PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THE LINE I MADE ON MY HEAD!!!! i was just drawing a line where my hairline was before but i am completely wrong, as you can see, i am not that much of a master with crayons icon_wink.gif, if you need other info as well, just ask. I hope maybe you guys can give me and idea. Thanks!!!

Greetz.

does it really make a difference whether you're a NW2 or NW3? Your loss is still the way it is. I'd say you're an early NW3. I'm not an expert, but it looks like you'll need 2000 something grafts to get nice density temple fill-ins in the front. Hope this helps. Also - the fact that your parents didn't have hairloss is a good sign, although nothing definite.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

I've been on this board a little while, and have never really made a recommendation as far as grafts go....I really don't feel that it's my place. To use 2000 grafts for the filling in of temples (yes, I've read the many many arguments of what temples are/aren't...I'm talking about either definition) on a 21 year old with that much loss already seems a bit agressive to me.

I could be completely wrong, but to use such a large of percentage of the total donor grafts in an area which is so small in comparison to the rest of the area should he progress to NW7 just seems a little bit off.

Also, just out of curiosity, why is this rated so high already with so few responses?

Belgiumdude,

I would agree with your self assessment as a 2 going toward 3. You're hairline reminds me of my own, but I think I was closer to 3 than 2. I'm 36 years old, and I had 1500 FU's done in June. I'm not sure if you're considering doing anything, but in my opinion I would wait. You may stabilize at the point you're currently at, and I think your hair looks good and thick.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Manko

the only thing I would be careful about is that you mention your father/grandfather have no loss, whereas it look like you are receding at the temples, which means you may not be following their pattern. My hairline was exactly the way my father's was my age, and in his fifties he still has the same shape. Also, like you, when I compare my pics from highschool, with now I still have the same shape. It's not unusual to stabilize at NW3, but of course, you go for an HT at your own risk - for some it's worth taking for other's not.

As far as saying 2000 grafts, I'm going by my personal experience, as I have similar hairline shape. I certainly wouldn't put all these on a person headed for NW6/7, but making an assumption (key word beying assumption) you won't progress beyond NW3, thick front is not impossible.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Hi guys, i sure am gonna wait a while, i am just 2 weeks on proscar and i am going to make an evaluation after a year and see if it did me any good. It really hope my hair can stay the way it is now. Although i dont think the same as many of you guys, when my hair stops from falling out i will probably have an HT, and if it continues i might have to wait cause i dont know where i will end up. It was really a suprise seeing pics of me 5 years ago, i never noticed hairloss, i just thought that was my natural hairline, fummy as it might sound. maybe in 5 years of time i lost an area of 5cm2 of hair, maybe little more but not that much. Thanks

Greetz.