Actual Number of Grafts - Help Needed!

Hey guys,

I need some help understanding my previous HT.

I received the following during my first HT:

520 micrografts (defined as 1-2 hairs each)

480 minigrafts (defined as 3-4 hairs each)

The stated goal was to provide a density of 25 hairs/cm2.

This suggests (assuming averages of the ranges provided) that:

# of hairs transplanted = 520(1.5) + 480(3.5)

= 2460 hairs

This suggests that:

area of treatment = 2460 hairs/25 hairs/cm2

= 98.4 cm2

This would be a half-cricle with a radius of 7.91 cm (3.11 in)

Compare that to the ACTUAL area treated (lightened in the photo) which appears to have a radius of about 2 inches. Not to mention that area in the middle that wasn't treated at all.

Photo

If I was treated with a total of 1000 hairs (instead of 1000 grafts), the numbers make more sense.

1000 hairs/25 hairs/cm2 = 40cm2

This is equivalent to a half-circle with a radius of 5.05cm (1.99 in).

Could I be correct with this hypothesis?

Is there something I'm not quite understanding?

Thoughts would be very welcome!!!!

[This message was edited by BruinHair on March 04, 2003 at 01:02 AM.]

Hey guys,

I need some help understanding my previous HT.

I received the following during my first HT:

520 micrografts (defined as 1-2 hairs each)

480 minigrafts (defined as 3-4 hairs each)

The stated goal was to provide a density of 25 hairs/cm2.

This suggests (assuming averages of the ranges provided) that:

# of hairs transplanted = 520(1.5) + 480(3.5)

= 2460 hairs

This suggests that:

area of treatment = 2460 hairs/25 hairs/cm2

= 98.4 cm2

This would be a half-cricle with a radius of 7.91 cm (3.11 in)

Compare that to the ACTUAL area treated (lightened in the photo) which appears to have a radius of about 2 inches. Not to mention that area in the middle that wasn't treated at all.

Photo

If I was treated with a total of 1000 hairs (instead of 1000 grafts), the numbers make more sense.

1000 hairs/25 hairs/cm2 = 40cm2

This is equivalent to a half-circle with a radius of 5.05cm (1.99 in).

Could I be correct with this hypothesis?

Is there something I'm not quite understanding?

Thoughts would be very welcome!!!!

[This message was edited by BruinHair on March 04, 2003 at 01:02 AM.]

Just curious, is this topic not fair game? I'm shocked that no one has any thoughts at all. If you dont wish to share an opinion publicly, please feel free to email me instead (see profile). I really would welcome the feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

...with all the math!!!

You hypothesis that it was 1,000 hairs seems to make sense from the math you presented, but I have never heard of a doctor quoting number of hairs as opposed to number of grafts.

Maybe not all of the grafts took?

Maybe you got taken?

It's hard to say.

Mr. T

I was quoted grafts. I figured arfy would offer an opinion at least!

As I consider a second transplant...I just want to understand as much as possible.

As for all the math...sorry folks!

Bruin,

Your math is correct but I think the logic is wrong. The goal (from what I have read) is to get to 25-40 FU'S per sq. cm. not 25-40 hairs. I believe the avg. FU has about 2.1-2.3 hairs so that would equal about 60-90 hairs per sq. cm. to get acceptable coverage. Using your math you have about 2300 hairs over that area which puts you in the 20ish hair per sq cm. range. As Dennis Miller likes to say, "This is only my opinion and I could be wrong"

ematt,

Thanks for your reply. My procedure used micro and minigrafts (rather than follicular units). My doctor gave me the number of hairs per micro and mini as described above. At the time, he also told me that the transplanted area was limited to 25 hairs/cm2...that was as dense as they packed them back then.

Assuming all this...what do you think?

I think you should get an opinion by one of the recommened doctors by IAHRS. They can give you the information better than I can. From the literature I have read, normal hair without any loss will have about 100 FU's per sq. cm. Each FU (follicular unit) has on average 2.1-2.3 hairs, so that means over 200 hairs per sq cm. You need to lose half of that hair before it becomes noticable - meaning that 50 FU's or roughly 100 hairs per sq cm will give you acceptable coverage.

I think you can do better than your prior procedures but the doctor is the one who should be helping you also. Getting evaluated by some of the doctors listed on the IAHRS recommened list can't hurt you. Get some literature from the Doc's and visit their websites and read the info. Good luck.

I should have added that from what I have read and what you hear from some of the posters on this site is Follicular Unit procedure is able to get up to the 50 FU per sq. cm coverage that you need. They trim off excess epidermal at the base of the hair, they use much smaller instruments to place the hair this gives them a much better opportunity to do tighter packing and superior work than the Doc's who are doing the mini's and micro's. The math proves it.

ematt, u talk about your procedure as if it happened 2 days ago, and i'd like to know what doc told about dense packing and what is what every good doc gives now, the 50 per, when doc's were packing that tight w/ micro's and mini's, which i am skeptical about, 50 per was not even imaginable, and certainly not what every patient needs or should strive to get, sorry if u got micro's in the last year or 2, but u are not telling anyone here something they don't already know

• 3 weeks later...

I was specifically told that 25 hairs per sq cm was the target density using the techniques of the time. 2 HTs could result in 50 hairs per sq cm which could offer the cosmetic equivalence of a full head of hair. Thus, I used this number as the basis for my calculations.

Something doesn't add up. I welcome an answer to explain it.

forget the math. I dont think about mathmatical calculations as I stare at my receeding hairline. I have no idea about my fu's per sq

Experience:

6 HT to date.......wish this forum was around in the 90's!

sorry I hit the wrong key.

just get to a doc that does only fu's. all those mini and micro doc's are just gonna give you unnatural looking hair....trust me I gots lots of it... get yourself to a honest doc with some integrity, not a hairmill.

big it up

Experience:

6 HT to date.......wish this forum was around in the 90's!