Precautions before going for a ht

What steps should I take before the surgery?

A: Pre-Operation Instruction

Maintain an adequate length of hair[atleast 1"] on the back of your head. Your donor grafts will be removed from here .Stiched skin incision will not be visible from day one.

Two weeks before surgery.

No Finpacia or Minoxidil.

No Aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications that contain Aspirin.

One week before surgery.

No Vitamin E.

No Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng or other herbal supplements.

One day before surgery.

No Alcohol /tobacco.

Make arrangements for someone to take you to and from the clinic. Confirm your appointment.

On surgery day.

Wash your hair in the morning using your regular shampoo.

Have a light breakfast two hour prior to your procedure.

Wear a button-down shirt and comfortable, easily laundered pants. You should also bring an adjustable baseball cap or scarf along with you.

No tight hats or caps.

Do not wear anything that will have to be pulled tightly over your head.

Have someone take you home after surgery. You should not drive any vehicle.

Bllorayne,

Where are you getting these preoperative instructions?

Honestly, there are two on your list I disagree with.

You wrote "No Finpacia or Minoxidil" two weeks before surgery. By "Finpacia", do you mean Finpecia which contains finasteride? This is concerning to me since all physicians I've ever talked to claim it's ok to stay on finasteride before, during, and after your procedure. In fact, most highly recommend it.

The other one is "have a light breakfast two hours prior to your procedure". I think it's better to have a full size breakfast in order to metabolize the medication/anesthetic better and keep your blood sugar level at a normal level.

Best wishes,

Bill

You wrote "No Finpacia or Minoxidil" two weeks before surgery. By "Finpacia", do you mean Finpecia which contains finasteride? This is concerning to me since all physicians I've ever talked to claim it's ok to stay on finasteride before, during, and after your procedure. In fact, most highly recommend it.

This information is all correct except for the finpecia part....yes we can have finpecia pre and post surgery but no Minoxidil before surgery as it thins the blood.

Originally posted by bllorayne:

Have a light breakfast two hour prior to your procedure.

This makes sense, should one feel nausea during the surgery for the smell ...

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135