How long does shock loss last?

I currently about 7.5 weeks post op (surgery was on May 7). So far, so good--except that since starting around week 5, I've been experiencing some pretty significant shock loss in the recipient area. I've been watching this forum for a long time now, and understand that this is likely temporary, and also know that shock loss can start anywhere from a few weeks to a few months post-op. But my question is, once it starts, does it usually occur all at once or can I expect this to gradually continue for the next month or more?

• 4 years later...
Guest Kenneth Siporin

Unfortunately, there is not a simple straight forward answer to your question, but I can give you my experience, having seen thousands of transplant patients, over the last 15 years.

Most shock loss happens gradually, over a three month period, but it can also occur rather rapidly, but this is less likely. It would be nice to know how many grafts were placed, and what technique was used, because this may influence the degree and the nature of the shock loss, but even then, we could only make generalizations about the process, without any guarantees.

In my experience, shock loss is a rather uncommon occurrence. It happens more frequently in women, then in men, and usually it is temporary. But of course, if the hairs that went into telogen ( shock) were already miniaturized, then there is a possibility that they may not re-grow, or that they re-grow even finer than before. It is extremely rare to see prolonged shock loss, over a period of months.

In my experience, most of the shock loss that a patient experiences, will manifest over a fairly short period of time, measured in weeks, not months, but I have also seen some rare exceptions to this.

I would recommend topical minoxidil, low lever laser therapy, PRP, and biotin, as possible treatments to consider while you are experiencing shock loss.

They all have different mechanisms of action. Biotin should just make your hair grow faster. I don’t believe that it will decrease the length of telogen, but PRP, LLLT, and minoxidil, may indeed shorten the telogen period, and therefore decrease the amount of time the hairs are in shock. In addition, there is a possibility that miniaturized hairs could be strengthened, thereby lessening the effect of shock loss.

Good luck,

Kenneth D. Siporin, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Medical Director, Hair Aesthetic Institute

Dr,

Thanks for your reply. I t was my 3rd strip surgery 1000 grafts in the front where shock los occured. I'm pretty sure from looking at photos most if not all of what I lost was previously grafted hair. Had 2 Bosley procudures in 04 and 08.

I'm 3 months and 2 weeks out from surgery. Lost 70 percent of my hair in the front destroyed my hairline.

Unfortunately, there is not a simple straight forward answer to your question, but I can give you my experience, having seen thousands of transplant patients, over the last 15 years.

Most shock loss happens gradually, over a three month period, but it can also occur rather rapidly, but this is less likely. It would be nice to know how many grafts were placed, and what technique was used, because this may influence the degree and the nature of the shock loss, but even then, we could only make generalizations about the process, without any guarantees.

In my experience, shock loss is a rather uncommon occurrence. It happens more frequently in women, then in men, and usually it is temporary. But of course, if the hairs that went into telogen ( shock) were already miniaturized, then there is a possibility that they may not re-grow, or that they re-grow even finer than before. It is extremely rare to see prolonged shock loss, over a period of months.

In my experience, most of the shock loss that a patient experiences, will manifest over a fairly short period of time, measured in weeks, not months, but I have also seen some rare exceptions to this.

I would recommend topical minoxidil, low lever laser therapy, PRP, and biotin, as possible treatments to consider while you are experiencing shock loss.

They all have different mechanisms of action. Biotin should just make your hair grow faster. I don’t believe that it will decrease the length of telogen, but PRP, LLLT, and minoxidil, may indeed shorten the telogen period, and therefore decrease the amount of time the hairs are in shock. In addition, there is a possibility that miniaturized hairs could be strengthened, thereby lessening the effect of shock loss.

Good luck,

Kenneth D. Siporin, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Medical Director, Hair Aesthetic Institute

Ken,

In 1st part of your message you said shock loss typically occurs over course of 1st 3 months. Then later you said it occurs over short perios time weeks not months. Which is it?