black women and hair transplantation

cj

I am a 35 yo black female who had a hair transplant done on feb 28th 2002 to fill in my hair line area about under 1000 grafts. My guestion is this I normally have my hair relaxed (touched up) which makes styling a whole lot easier. Do you feel this process will affect growth of the transplanted hair? If any black women are out there that have gone through this please respond

I am a 35 yo black female who had a hair transplant done on feb 28th 2002 to fill in my hair line area about under 1000 grafts. My guestion is this I normally have my hair relaxed (touched up) which makes styling a whole lot easier. Do you feel this process will affect growth of the transplanted hair? If any black women are out there that have gone through this please respond

• 9 months later...

I'm considering having a hair transplant and can't seem to get enough advice re: pro/con on HT for black women. Can you fill me in on your experience? I'd really appreciate it.

Hi cj,

Now I know I'm not black, and I know I'm not a woman, but I HAVE done a LOT (lots and lots) of reading on the subject of HT's, in general, and have come across at least a few Doctor's papers where it was mentioned that once the transplanted hair follicle has taken root and has really started to grow, you can treat your hair in any fashion that you would treat it otherwise. Color it, perm it, do whatever you want to with it. If anything, by that stage it's actually more genetically robust than the hair that it's replacing (once it's rooted and growing).

bateman, I have to say that I have also come across at least a couple instances (when doing the same reading as mentioned above) where it was mentioned that, because of the tight curling of black people's hair (which improves on the appearance of actual coverage - like wavy hair does), and the fact that the skin, as well, is so dark (so there's much less contrast), that those two elements in particular tend to make black people very good candidates for all follicular HT's. From the pictures I've seen, I'd have to agree - in fact I can't recall if I've ever seen a bad all FU HT on a black person!

Hope this helps...

Harry