Scalp exercise question:

I've had three relatively small surgeries of 600, 2021 and 1850. Due in part to some ischemia at the donor site and hair greed, I'm going to have a 4th surgery of about 1000 grafts with Dr. Ron Shapiro in late October/early November.

I've been doing scalp exercises as recommeded but I have a question I'm hoping those with some knowledge or experience can answer. Do scalp exercises provide only temporary laxity?

I'm asking the question because should the scalp exercises permit temporary laxity, it would seem that given time, the scalp would normalize and cause even more tightness to the donor area. In turn, there would exist a greater potential for scar stretch and or more ischemia.

I've had three relatively small surgeries of 600, 2021 and 1850. Due in part to some ischemia at the donor site and hair greed, I'm going to have a 4th surgery of about 1000 grafts with Dr. Ron Shapiro in late October/early November.

I've been doing scalp exercises as recommeded but I have a question I'm hoping those with some knowledge or experience can answer. Do scalp exercises provide only temporary laxity?

I'm asking the question because should the scalp exercises permit temporary laxity, it would seem that given time, the scalp would normalize and cause even more tightness to the donor area. In turn, there would exist a greater potential for scar stretch and or more ischemia.

Tom,

This is a great question. I would like to hear a doctor's explanation on this...but here is my explanation from what I understand.

I don't not believe there will be increased risk of scar stretching based on doing scalp exercises.

What CAN increase the risk of scar stretching is if the hair transplant physician takes too large of a strip, stretching the skin too quickly beyond its llimitation.

Let me explain...

Skin is extremely elastic and can expand to great lengths over time. Skin ultimately expands and contracts as needed, but this process isn't instantaneous

Let's look at an example...

People who gain a significant amount of weight, their skin can stretch to unbelievable lengths to accomodate.

Gaining weight doesn't happen overnight, however. Try pinching some skin on your arm between your finger tips. If you pull, you will be able to stretch it, but only to an extent. This typically can be referred to as "pinching an inch".

Over time, however, skin can stretch to great lengths to accomodate a need (such as gaining weight) or as it is worked (via scalp exercises for example). One could compare this with muscle growth. Muscles grow from a consistent workout regime over time - also not overnight.

Now, skin has limitations...it can NOT expand forever without problems. Over-expansion of the skin too quickly (via donor closure for example if too much skin is removed) or beyond it's capacity (gaining signifant amounts of weight) will cause problems.

Regarding closing the donor area after too much scalp has been removed, there will be an increased risk of scar stretching (not to mention healing problems, infection, etc).

In the example of gaining/losing weight, losing significants amount of weight, one might be left with some extra skin and stretch marks.

That being said...

Expanding the scalp skin through scalp exercises should allow a healthy expansion of skin and will allow a slightly larger strip to be removed resulting in more follicular unit grafts. Since it takes time for skin to contract, the donor area will be long healed by then, therefore the risks of additional scarring or problems should be minimal IF that.

Not only that...but this makes a great case for EVERYONE to do scalp exercises even for smaller sessions, since it will help with tightness (maybe even pain) one typically feels in the donor area.

Just my thoughts...

Bill

Hi

I did Scalp exercises for my 3rd HT and had just the opposite. Increased laxity and little tightness after the surgery.. I think the skin has the amazing ability to stretch so I think the body can adjust.

They work!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!