24 w/ thining hair

sgs153

Im 24 and my hair is starting to fall out. As soon as i noticed my hair thinning i went to a Dr. and got Propecia and I've been on it for a few about 5 months now. My grandfather was bald by his 30's and my cousin was loosing his hair in his mid 20's so it could be genetic. But I am also under an exteremely high level of stress, and have been for several months. The hair loss does not seem to be following any pattern like my relatives did, its just thinning just as rapidly at the top of my head as it is on the sides. The other thing i am confused about is this, i have noticed some hair growing back, but i am still loosing my hair at the same rate. Any ideas?

Im 24 and my hair is starting to fall out. As soon as i noticed my hair thinning i went to a Dr. and got Propecia and I've been on it for a few about 5 months now. My grandfather was bald by his 30's and my cousin was loosing his hair in his mid 20's so it could be genetic. But I am also under an exteremely high level of stress, and have been for several months. The hair loss does not seem to be following any pattern like my relatives did, its just thinning just as rapidly at the top of my head as it is on the sides. The other thing i am confused about is this, i have noticed some hair growing back, but i am still loosing my hair at the same rate. Any ideas?

The first thing I'd do is see a dermatologist to determine whether or not you're experiencing male-pattern-baldness or something else. some experience "shedding" with Propecia which is a more-than-usual amount of your hair entering its resting phase all at one time. However, stress can also cause temporary loss at times. I'd consult with a professional so they can properly assess your situation.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

So a Dermatologist would be the Dr. who deals with hair loss? I was never really sure about that. I got the Propecia from my Primary Care Physician. I checked again a few days ago with a better light and there really is quite a bit new hair starting to come back. Its still fine and very short but the point is its growing. I also got a 3 month supply of rogaine foam 2 days ago. I figure it couldn't hurt.

Dermatologist would be a "skin doctor"......anything to do with your skin condition. I mention seeing one for hair loss because there are other things besides male-pattern-baldness that can cause hair loss....i.e. Skin irritations or things of that nature. My cousin had some sort of skin disease that caused him to have "rash" spots on the scalp.........very thick hair most places, just wouldn't grow where he had the rash and he ended up having to shave down.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi

It is probably Male pattern baldness as people in the same family may thin differently or not at all. My dad has a FULL head of hair and his brother is a N6.. Stress can cause many things but I think everyone who loses their hair goes through a mental list of imaginary causes ( i did) .. I am no doctor but in my opinion 9 out of 10 times it's MPB

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I agree with Hairbank, see a dermatologist to make sure. But both stress and propecia can cause shedding to occur. Shedding under propecia could be a good sign that it is working. I went through a significant shed on propecia about 6 months into it, stuck with it, and at 1.5 years am very satisfied with how it thickened my crown.

Stress can accelerate any type of hair loss. Depending on the hair, it may or may not come back. The rub is you now sound stressed about your hair (we all do) and that may also be contributing. I don't know if you excercise, but I would recommend you doing so to aleviate some of your stress.

I would absolutely recommend you stick with the propecia and see the dermatologist to ensure what you are expierencing now is MPB.

This community is here to support.

Toad

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.