Question about shedding grafts . .

I had a HT procedure done yesterday . . .not really that bad BTW.

Anyway I was told to lightly wash my hair 24 hours after my surgery which I did. I poured water over my grafts using a small cup and gently rubbed shampoo in the transplanted area.

It felt quite sensitive. But thing is that the hair in this area was quite crusty. I also noticed that a graft or two may have had fallin out. It was a small clear section of skin with 2 hairs lying in the middle of it.

I am concerned that the grafts shouldn't be shedding this yearly since most of the literature I read said this should happen after few weeks not the following day!

I left message with my surgeon since his office is closed therefore some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I had a HT procedure done yesterday . . .not really that bad BTW.

Anyway I was told to lightly wash my hair 24 hours after my surgery which I did. I poured water over my grafts using a small cup and gently rubbed shampoo in the transplanted area.

It felt quite sensitive. But thing is that the hair in this area was quite crusty. I also noticed that a graft or two may have had fallin out. It was a small clear section of skin with 2 hairs lying in the middle of it.

I am concerned that the grafts shouldn't be shedding this yearly since most of the literature I read said this should happen after few weeks not the following day!

I left message with my surgeon since his office is closed therefore some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

curious_joe,

If you lost a couple grafts on the first day, it's possible you lost the follicle as well. Was there any blood?

Be very cautious about touching the grafts for the first 48 hours....in fact, it's best not to touch them at all until day 2 or 3 where day 0 counts as surgery day. Pouring a cup of water with shampoo gently over your head is perfect. But be very gentle with the grafts on day 2-4. Day 5, you can resume regular washing, but I am always gentle on the grafts anyway.

Bill

thanks for the response,

There was no bleeding, just what looking like like small bits of skin.

I talked to my doctor he said if there was no bleeding it could could have been an old hair follicle that could been shed.

Anyways I am gonna try see him ASAP.

i saw my doctor today and he said everythin looked fine. He said that there would be bleeding if a graft came loose.

I washed today again there was alot of flaking but nothing which appeared to be grafts. Is it possible that it was just graft that did't take or a old hair follice?

hope I don't sound to paranoid

thanks

You should not be "rubbing" you should be "patting". Work up some lather in your hand and then just lightly pat the recipient area. Then just carefully pour water over it to rinse. After a week, you can lightly rub.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery