Age as a factor in recovery

Teddw2ds

I would like to hear opinions from others based on their experience ... does age play a significant factor in recovery and long-term success of a HT? Specifically:

1) Does it affect how long it takes to return to a normal appearance, i.e. - I can go back to work without hearing gasps of horror.

2) Does it affect the long-term appearance of the donor scar? Is it any more or less likely to be noticeable? Wider? Pinker? etc.

3) Is there a greater chance of swelling as you get older?

4) Is the incidence of "shock loss" affected by age?

As with any type of healing, the younger the better, and at 31, I am still young, so hopefully this will be either a neutral or beneficial factor in regards to the aesthetic result of my procedure.

I am planning to have my first HT in June. I have been reading this board for a long time, but there are still just a few details like this that I am curious about before I actually pull the trigger.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

[This message was edited by Teddw2ds on March 29, 2003 at 08:32 AM.]

I would like to hear opinions from others based on their experience ... does age play a significant factor in recovery and long-term success of a HT? Specifically:

1) Does it affect how long it takes to return to a normal appearance, i.e. - I can go back to work without hearing gasps of horror.

2) Does it affect the long-term appearance of the donor scar? Is it any more or less likely to be noticeable? Wider? Pinker? etc.

3) Is there a greater chance of swelling as you get older?

4) Is the incidence of "shock loss" affected by age?

As with any type of healing, the younger the better, and at 31, I am still young, so hopefully this will be either a neutral or beneficial factor in regards to the aesthetic result of my procedure.

I am planning to have my first HT in June. I have been reading this board for a long time, but there are still just a few details like this that I am curious about before I actually pull the trigger.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

[This message was edited by Teddw2ds on March 29, 2003 at 08:32 AM.]

FiveHead -

Thanks for the info. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I am glad and encouraged to hear of your good results.

As for surgeons, I have had a consultation with Dr. Rose in Tampa, who impressed me a great deal, both in person and as far as his credentials and reputation are concerned. I had intended to also meet with Dr. Blaine Lehr in Oklahoma City, who is also recommended by this site, but I feel very confident with Dr. Rose, and hey, if you can get world-class results in either place and you have to take a week off work to recover either way, might as well do it in Florida, right? icon_biggrin.gif