Considering 2nd HT for Added Thickness - Pros/Cons?

Guest bdee

I had 2500 grafts and am pretty satisfied but I'm considering a 2nd HT to add thickness, especially where the 1st transplant was on bare skin. Has anyone experienced shock loss when going for the 2nd HT? (I didn't have any on the first.) Any other downsides to it? What's the reality of adding thickness... has anyone experienced significant change with the 2nd HT?

Thanks!

I had 2500 grafts and am pretty satisfied but I'm considering a 2nd HT to add thickness, especially where the 1st transplant was on bare skin. Has anyone experienced shock loss when going for the 2nd HT? (I didn't have any on the first.) Any other downsides to it? What's the reality of adding thickness... has anyone experienced significant change with the 2nd HT?

Thanks!

I'd guesstimate at least 50-60% of the active group on this site have had more than one procedure or are planning another one. Visit the 'patient photo albums' forum. I think it will give you a good idea of what is possible these days!

As long as you've got the donor availability, funds and a world class surgeon, I don't see a downside. Most guys on this site will want to see photos before making any judgement.

Most doctors now do online consultations as well.

Post some photos if you want more feedback.

MbM

Shock loss is not going to be an issue in terms of your previously transplanted hair. A second pass can realistically make a big impact with regard to adding density.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Shock loss is not going to be an issue in terms of your previously transplanted hair. A second pass can realistically make a big impact with regard to adding density.

Let's make sure we are differentiating between temporary and permanent shock loss.

Temporary shock loss is possible anytime hair is being transplanted in between or around existing hair. This hair may be temporarily shocked but will grow back.

There is no risk of permanent shock to previously transplanted hair unless in the event of transection of the existing hair follicle or bulb. This risk is almost non-existent in the hands of a first-rate physician.

Bill

Good catch! ...one almost fell through the cracks there. You are quite right. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had quite an improvement from my second.

See it here

I did not experience shock loss on the second.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery