Finasteride Slump

I've been on Finasteride 1mg tablets for approx 5 years now. There is no doubt in my mind that had of I not taken Propecia at early stages of MPB, my baldness would be significantly worse. My premature baldness was so severe that I thought I would be totally bald within months. In saying this over a period time I have been extremely happy with the results from Finasteride.

But only till recently I've noticed a decrease in effectiveness, with a increase in thinning and little to no hair gain. Does Finasterides effectiveness decrease with time? Is my body becoming immune to Propecia? Is a break from Finasteride a possible option? or should I introduce another product maybe? Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.......

Regards

Follicle Challenge

I've been on Finasteride 1mg tablets for approx 5 years now. There is no doubt in my mind that had of I not taken Propecia at early stages of MPB, my baldness would be significantly worse. My premature baldness was so severe that I thought I would be totally bald within months. In saying this over a period time I have been extremely happy with the results from Finasteride.

But only till recently I've noticed a decrease in effectiveness, with a increase in thinning and little to no hair gain. Does Finasterides effectiveness decrease with time? Is my body becoming immune to Propecia? Is a break from Finasteride a possible option? or should I introduce another product maybe? Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated.......

Regards

Follicle Challenge

Hello Follicle Challenge,

I believe there is a decrease in effectiveness over time, but I don't believe the decrease percentage is drastic. Unfortunately, I don't have the figures handy, but I'm pretty sure it's stated on the Merck website.

Since I'm not a doctor, I am not sure what to recommend to you...though I would imagine logically, the possible options would be:

1. Increase the dosage (don't do this without consulting a doctor)

2. Stick with Finasteride, but consider trying to add Minoxodil to your regime

3. Consider consulting with a doctor about taking dudasteride IF finasteride is truly losing it's effectiveness. I haven't studied much on this drug, but supposedly has evidence that it could help. Of course, if you end up taking this, you'd take it in place of finasteride.

I would not stop taking finasteride if I were you, simply because you could start losing even more hair that you may not get back. It sounds logical that taking a break might help, since restarting might "shock" the system, but I'm not sure if this is true here. I'll be curious to hear the other advice that is given here.

That all being said, the best thing to do is consult a doctor to see what he/she recommends.

Bill