Shedding question.

franko

Does shedding occur when switching between different oral meds? Example, from propecia to proscar to avodart. Is shedding a common occurrence or does ot happen at all?

My sense is that once one has been taking one of these meds for a while that shedding does not occur if you switch, because the common active ingredient if finasteride.

Thanks,

Robert, you the man.

If switching from Propecia to Proscar or reverse and if the doseage is about the same (say, stopping 1 mg per day of Propecia and starting 1.25 mg per day of Proscar) then you should notice no change since, as you said, both contain finasteride as the active ingredient. However, significantly raising the doseage of finasteride (there are those that take up to 5 mg per day!) or switching to dutasteride (Avodart) could cause a period of shedding.

When I switched from Proscar to Avodart, there was a pretty significant period of shedding though I am sure that it was not distinguishable by any one other than me. However, seeing all those hairs in my hands in the shower was a bit disheartening! Shedding is not all that bad. Your body's composition is adjusting to the new medication and it may take a few months to fully accomplish.

Hope this helps. What are you currently taking and what are you considering switching to? Also, what else are you using in addition to the internal? Any topicals?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog