How does the math work?

What is the range or percent of units one can actually expect from a HT procedure? Say you go for a consult and the doctor guess-timates he can harvest 3,000 units based on laxity and density measurements. Then you go to your procedure and the laxity and density measurement numbers are the same. How close do doctors actually come to hitting the pre-op numbers? I've read on this site lots of people going for say 2000 units and winding up with 2150 or going for 2500 units and winding up with 2581, etc. Does it ever work out the other way that you go for 3000 units and wind up with 2850 or even 2,700 - ten percent less? Is there a margin (i.e., 1%, 5%, 10%...)that is unpredictable until it's all cut and totaled?

garyr

What is the range or percent of units one can actually expect from a HT procedure? Say you go for a consult and the doctor guess-timates he can harvest 3,000 units based on laxity and density measurements. Then you go to your procedure and the laxity and density measurement numbers are the same. How close do doctors actually come to hitting the pre-op numbers? I've read on this site lots of people going for say 2000 units and winding up with 2150 or going for 2500 units and winding up with 2581, etc. Does it ever work out the other way that you go for 3000 units and wind up with 2850 or even 2,700 - ten percent less? Is there a margin (i.e., 1%, 5%, 10%...)that is unpredictable until it's all cut and totaled?

garyr

garyr,

I agree with what Ruggger shared. Plus I don't think anyone has ever said "You've made my hair too thick. You'll have to take some out."

If there were financial limitations that might cause a patient to want to limit the number of grafts they could get (i.e., I can only afford $10,000), then the patient should make that clear up front. Most doctors assume we want all the hair we can get, so they'll maximize the number of grafts they can obtain within the boundaries of producing excellent results and not damamging anything in the process.

Mr. T

patience garyr...im almost to month 4..and i can tell you that the first 2-3 months basically suck..lol..after that, it starts to get pretty interesting and fun..

Don't be envious Gary..HW are one of the best, thats for sure..but there are plenty of others out there getting great results as well...who did yours?

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Rugger...

I put up some post-op pictures on Feb 6 2004. However, with the update to the website recently, I noticed I could not view these pictures just now. Oh well, I will try to post 4, 6, 9 and 12 month photos and include a before pic as well. Unless they really suck icon_smile.gif

garyr