What's the difference between combining 2 FU's and micrograft?

Patricia

Could someone please tell me what the difference is between combining two FU's (each with 1-3 hairs so the result could be at least 3,4 graft) and a micrograft? Does that result in the same "micrograft" that so many of you are opposed to? I think that perhaps it has something to do with the way they are "trimmed" which produces a better result. Is the difference between a 3-4 hair FU (which is made up of 2 smaller FU's) and a "micrograft" determined by the the number of hairs, or the way it is transected?

This would not be at the hairline but to help narrow a center part. I thought I understood this but after reading some of your posts I am confused-- Thanks for your input....

gone today...hair tomorrow...

Could someone please tell me what the difference is between combining two FU's (each with 1-3 hairs so the result could be at least 3,4 graft) and a micrograft? Does that result in the same "micrograft" that so many of you are opposed to? I think that perhaps it has something to do with the way they are "trimmed" which produces a better result. Is the difference between a 3-4 hair FU (which is made up of 2 smaller FU's) and a "micrograft" determined by the the number of hairs, or the way it is transected?

This would not be at the hairline but to help narrow a center part. I thought I understood this but after reading some of your posts I am confused-- Thanks for your input....

I think I know what you mean. A micrograft is not trimmed under a microscope. That is big NO NO. It WILL result in a unnatural look A proper FUT is removed in proper hair bundles of 1-3 hairs per unit. Micrografts are made up of 4-? hairs and is not what nature provides. Hair on your head, arms, etc is made in 1-3 follicle units. Hair does not grow on your head in 4-? units. Those look like total crap and should NEVER be used ANYWERE REGARDLESS.

If this is what your doctor uses then get up and run out the door.

Do I have this right guys?

Yeah, Matthew's got it right. Although I think the rersulting blemish at the base of the hairs is almost as important as the number of hairs (not to detract from the number of hairs problem!). If the follicles are not microscopically dissected there is a relatively large mass of tissue surrounding the follicles. Traditional methods use a coring punch to remove...well...a "plug" of tissue where this mass can fit inside. Sometimes this mass sits too high and sometimes too low. This tends to heal poorly and often results in what has come to be known as "cobblestoning". Those performing the best all-microscopically dissected FU procedures insert the 1, 2 and 3 hair follicles in a tiny slit incision that heals way better than the traditional methods (there's no surrounding tissue to deal with). I have both types on my head and can speak to this first hand.

trying2moveahead