Oh crap

otto

Well I had some lab work done because of loss of sex drive, weight, energy, and I guess my test levels are well below average. We talked about test therapy and the fact that i'm on propecia and he said that i should quit taking propecia. That would be much easier than taking testosterone injections. The problem is I am actually noticing a big difference since i have been taking the propecia. (8 months). A big enough difference not to quit taking it. My question is could I give my lab work to a HT surgeon and have him write me out a scpipt for testosterone therapy?

Well I had some lab work done because of loss of sex drive, weight, energy, and I guess my test levels are well below average. We talked about test therapy and the fact that i'm on propecia and he said that i should quit taking propecia. That would be much easier than taking testosterone injections. The problem is I am actually noticing a big difference since i have been taking the propecia. (8 months). A big enough difference not to quit taking it. My question is could I give my lab work to a HT surgeon and have him write me out a scpipt for testosterone therapy?

The findings are curious, but I for one wouldn't blame Propecia just yet.

According to the clinical pharmacology from Merck:

"Finasteride had no effect on circulating levels of cortisol, thyroid-stimulating hormone, or thyroxine, nor

did it affect the plasma lipid profile (e.g., total cholesterol, low-density lipoproteins, high-density

lipoproteins and triglycerides) or bone mineral density. In studies with finasteride, no clinically meaningful

changes in luteinizing hormone (LH) or follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) were detected. In healthy

volunteers, treatment with finasteride did not alter the response of LH and FSH to gonadotropin-releasing

hormone, indicating that the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis was not affected. Mean circulating levels

of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline in the first

year of treatment, but these levels were within the physiologic range."

You might be an anomaly, but finasteride is known to lower DHT only. The body actually compensates for the reduction of DHT by increasing testosterone production.

I suggest you proceed with extreme caution. It would be ill advised to go off Propecia only to discover something else is causing your problems. I'd look into this a little more and see if something else is causing your problem.

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The body actually compensates for the reduction of DHT by increasing testosterone production.

? I thought there was more testosterone because less of it was being converted into DHT.