My thinning hair (African American)

Dakota, good call. I would check out the medical therapy option...and propecia (as many posters know all to well) is the gold standard.

You look like you have some isolated crown loss. Still, this is quite consistent with male pattern baldness, so the sooner you catch it with meds the better.

In terms of surgery, the first 2 questions that come to mind are 1) how old are you? And 2) Do you wish to keep your hair the same length as in the photos?

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 6 months later...

Rome your hair length is similiar length as my hair so I would be very cautious about doing a strip procedure. I think a strip procedure will get you the density in your crown area but I worry about your scar being visible. You will have to wear your hair longer than the length in the picture. See my blog for pics.

I'm also African American and I looked into a FUE procedure but I was told I wasn't a good candidate because African American hair is very curly which makes FUE very difficult. I only discussed FUE with one doctor so you may want to talk to a couple doctors to get feedback.

I also tried propecia and didn't like the side effects. I'm not sure where they get their statistics regarding that drug because I think they need to do another survey... ha ha ha.