Donor Site - In Excess

Dear Guys,

After Donor site is prepared for harvast,the surgeon strips the donor skin,dissects and implants them in recipient area.

right?

Now my question is,he strips the donor area expecting about 2000 grafts..But what can may be happen is 2200 or something like

that..So when the amount exceeds like this, what would happen to other 200 grafts..Is it going in vain?

Or to put it in other way,how does physician precisely prepare the amount of grafts.?

Thanks a lot,Thicker

Dear Guys,

After Donor site is prepared for harvast,the surgeon strips the donor skin,dissects and implants them in recipient area.

right?

Now my question is,he strips the donor area expecting about 2000 grafts..But what can may be happen is 2200 or something like

that..So when the amount exceeds like this, what would happen to other 200 grafts..Is it going in vain?

Or to put it in other way,how does physician precisely prepare the amount of grafts.?

Thanks a lot,Thicker

The Coaltion Doctor makes his incisions in the recipient area as close as possible for dense packing. If they harvested more grafts then they counted on the Doctor will come back & make more incisions to refine the hairline or other areas. Hopefully, there are no wasted follicles.

Unfortunately, I have heard cases of doctors disposing of extra follicles. What are the chances that a doc REALLY gets an even number like 2000 anyway? Sure it could happen, but at low odds.

But folica and YoungGuy are right. An ethical physician will make extra incisions and insert them into recipient sites. Some will even do it at no charge. However, some will say that the exact number of grafts can't be determined and will let you know up front so you will have to pay for it. But payment isn't the issue anyway...as long as they don't throw them away.

Bill