0.5mg fin every other day

Insidious

Hi

I have heard people mention this or taking 1 Mg every other day.. I would love to take a half a pill everyday but I am afraid of loving what I have gained..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

i just got my first batch of propecia and i am undecided also... .5mg everyday or 1mg everyother day.. im leaning toward 1mg everyother day because then i wouldnt have to cut the pill each day and save money since my doctor wouldnt write me a prescription for proscar...any suggestions.

Hmm,

Maybe start with .5 and work your way up.. Cutting the pill is no biggie.. I'm already on it and don't want to risk it , easier to work down than up

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by pokerbrat:

i just got my first batch of propecia and i am undecided also... .5mg everyday or 1mg everyother day.. im leaning toward 1mg everyother day because then i wouldnt have to cut the pill each day and save money since my doctor wouldnt write me a prescription for proscar...any suggestions.

A decent pill cutter available in any pharmacy will do the job accurately and quickly. I'm going to start on 0.5mg every other day just on an experimental basis since based on the research I've done I should still see an effect in addition to the fact that it saves a significant amount of money.

I could be wrong but isn't .5mg everyother day well below what they advise you to take. If youre supposed to take 1mg everyday..and im going to take .5mg everyday which is half the recommended dosage per day and now you say .5mg everyother day...thats well below the recommended dosage..could it really still work at that amount per day?

No you're correct the indicated dosage is 1 mg per day but I will refer you to the below link for more information.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_loss_research/standard_dose_finasteride.cfm

Also since finasteride is an enzyme inhibitor it will have some effect at lower doses which may vary from person to person unlike say a penicillin antibiotic which if given at an insufficient dose will not eliminate an infection (and may even lead to a worse one). I'm just going to trial it at that level for a while and determine it's effectiveness or lack thereof as the case may be.

Edit: Every 2nd day 1mg is fine if you want to go with that yourself. I'll report back here in a few months to report results.

Hi

FYI , I asked my doc about the lower dosages and he said .5 everyday would be better than 1 mg every other day

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

calvin..i guess you could but that would be .25mgs a day..and the people who quarter proscar get 1.25mgs a day..i want to take at least .5mgs a day, but i guess you could do that if you want to save money..let me know if you are seeing positive results by taking .25mg a day.

I'm already seeing benefits from taking .25mg per day for only about three months.

Nothing huge.

I have a slow balding pattern anyway and the results of Fin aren't spectacular or anything.

But I'm a 29yo NW#3, and I'm already seeing a few square centimeters of temple-hair regrowing since starting the stuff in late April. It's just thin little hairs and nothing major. But it's unquestionably a new regrowth and I did say it was temple hairs. The only other thing I'm using is Nizoral 1% about once a week on average, so I think it's pretty clear that it has to be the Finasteride doing the regrowth work.

This is a much larger topic, but several people have argued that Finasteride seems to at least sort of dose-independent. There seems to be some evidence that the differences in effectiveness are not as large as the numbers would suggest between dose sizes. (Meaning that taking 1mg seems to offer less than double the benefits of .5mg, and taking 2mg offers less than double the benefits of 1mg.)

I started at only .25mg in the first place, and I never once did 1mg in a single day. (I rarely ever even took .5mg in a single day.) I think that may have been part of it. If I had been steadily taking 1mg or something and then tried to drop it down to .25mg, then I doubt my body would have reacted to the small dosage as effectively.

I'm toying with the idea of upping my dosage to 3/8 or 1/2 of a milligram per day. The side effects are pissing me off but they have not been a total deal-breaker so far and they're not getting any worse. And I'm encouraged by the effectiveness that the small dosage has had.

------------------------------------------------

calvin..thanks for all the info..i will let you know if i see any growth from .5mg a day. I've only been on it for a few weeks so i still have some time to go. That's really good that you have growth on your temlples..hopefully i'll be as lucky..since i think that is very rare. Did you happen to experience any shedding? if so when? Did it grow any back in the crown or middle of your head?

I think the "temple regrowth is rare" thing is a misunderstanding.

With both Finasteride & Minox, the drug companies didn't test/study the temples. I suspect it may have just been a practical matter because crown loss is more steady & predictable from case to case. (Everybody has different natural hairline locations & shapes, etc.)

Temple regrowth from meds may or may not happen, but it's really an "unknown" from the research rather than "unlikely." Medically speaking, the temples bald for the same reasons as the crown so I see no reason that Finasteride wouldn't work there just as well.

Either way the drugs are fighting your natural susceptibily & loss, and that makes more of a difference than anything else. If you totally lost temple hair 15 years ago and your crown is just now getting thinner, then of course you're gonna have a lot more crown success than temple success from the drugs. But that's not because the drugs "don't work at the temples," it's just that the drugs are less effective on areas of older & more significant loss regardless of where you have it. I see no medical reason that the drugs would discriminate between temple loss and crown loss.

------------------------------------------------

Precisely. Incidentally my 0.5 mg eod has caused absolutely no side effects (thought I wouldn't expect any with that dose) and I will continue with this until the current calendar pack is finished. I may titrate the dose upwards at that point dependant upon results. In any event I'll report back here.