peach fuzz

Im at the 4.5 month mark and its hard for me too tell whats really going on due to my existing hair. I think i see a bunch of little peach fuzz hairs coming up, but im not sure if they are just the remnants of the old dead hairs. Some of them are growing in thick and normal looking though. Will some of the follicles start out as peach fuzz? If so how long before they start to become more dense. Why do some grow in thick right away and others start as peach fuzz? Any comments are appreciated.

I'm just comin up on my 4 month mark at the end of this week and am not quite able to tell if or where there is any growth yet. I took pictures of about the 3 month mark (I wish I had taken some pre-op and immediately post-op but these are pretty close to where I was then seeing as I havent had any noticeable shockloss) so I could have future reference, but it's just hard to tell.

One question for you, are you taking minoxidil and/or propecia? When I was taking both of them in combination, I noticed peach fuzz growing towards the front of my scalp in areas which were bare. They never progressed further than just peach fuzz, and to be honest, I never checked further back in the hair to see if there was any peach fuzz there. That might be a possibility for your peach fuzz.

Other than that, I'm just really waiting on growth and would like to hear the answers to your questions from anyone else who might know.

I've been taking propecia for about a year now. I never really thought about that contributing to the peach fuzz. I just figured and am hoping that it is the new follicles because i've heard they grow in very fine at first and then thicken up over time. But i don't understand why some would grow in thick right away while others would start out fine and then get thick. It is hard to tell though because im not really totally bald anywhere, just thin.

PRGuy,

I don't mean to break your chops, but your line about the medication being preventive as opposed to being able to grow was just too funny, when you said that is the truth "despite what Merck says". That is a great line. I'm going to send you over some of my other medications and you can tell me what the truth about them is as well. I feel like an idiot believing those pesky pharmaceutical companies - that group of know-nothings.

I needed to laugh first thing in the morning, maybe the fact that it's Friday helped.

Good luck.

Manko

I think the amount of hair propecia grows depends on the person. Some people won't even stop losing hair on it. However, there have been cases where men have grown nearly all of their hair back. It must have something to do with the degree of hairloss and the amount of time you've been bald. I'm only 21 and almost to 4 months on generic finasteride and I'm seeing tiny black hairs popping up all over my hairline in the temple region. I'm still losing hair of course, so I'll just have to see. My family has a history of crome domes so it's a tough battle.

PRGuy,

I understand your comments. While I feel uncomfortable saying it, I kind of think it doesn't regrow a whole lot in most patients (that's where I feel uncomfortable where I said "most"). I do know that I went off of it for about 3 months, when I decided to save money, and one day I was looking in a different mirror under different lighting than my normal mirror, and I really thought I thinned a lot. Needless to say, I had my prescription refilled that day, and since then my hair is definitely fuller. I may be lucky with my response, but there are some great photos of what propecia has done. One of Bernsteins mailings actually shows one guy who's results are absolutely incredible, and Bernstein's point is don't believe every HT picture you see because many HT patients are also put on Propecia at the same time. I think Vocor has actually been having good success in the crown with his propecia as well.

I like propecia, and after my brief 3 month respite, I know that I can not risk being off the stuff. And for the most part, I think we can all trust the pharmaceutical companies. Remember, there are wicked lawsuits available if they 'f' us up. I don't trust those Avacor bastards though, and I think Arfy made a point one time that more people have tried that than propecia. Sickening.

Good luck buddy.

Manko

I've been taking propecia since March 2002(so about 15 months now) and I haven't experienced any regrowth whatsoever. At best it's just slowed down my hairloss to a slightly noticable crawl. My hair isn't as thick as it was when I started but after telling a doctor I'd been taking propecia he said that I might be one or two levels worse on the NW scale if I hadn't taken it. That works for me, but I guess I just produce too much DHT for any chemical to counteract(which goes along with the men on my dad's side of the family starting to lose their hair from the age of 17-21).

I think this is the name of the drug we've all been listening for. It blocks most of the DHT from forming. Let's just cross our fingers and hope this gets approved for hair loss one of these days. There is too much money in it for it to sit on shelves long. Anyone know how that is coming along?