A Aesthetic Hair Trick I've Discovered.....but is it safe?

Hey all, right now I grow my hair out long in the front as a combover, and I can actually get it to grow all the way down to my eyes, and it looks great. As long as there's absolutely no wind. I have to wear a hat everywhere, and I've never been much of a hat person. But anyway, one trick that I may have discovered is to lift my hair up in the front, and hairspray it on the side that touches my forehead, and even spray pretty much DIRECTLY ON THE FOLLICLE, then let the hair down over the forehead. This way it'll stay more still in the wind but it wont have that ridiculous hairspray look that my thin hair definately can't pull off.

My question is, do you guys think this is safe? Is it safe to be spraying a hairspray RIGHT INTO my hair follicles? Or could this cause further hair loss? If anyone thinks they may have an idea as to the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Hey all, right now I grow my hair out long in the front as a combover, and I can actually get it to grow all the way down to my eyes, and it looks great. As long as there's absolutely no wind. I have to wear a hat everywhere, and I've never been much of a hat person. But anyway, one trick that I may have discovered is to lift my hair up in the front, and hairspray it on the side that touches my forehead, and even spray pretty much DIRECTLY ON THE FOLLICLE, then let the hair down over the forehead. This way it'll stay more still in the wind but it wont have that ridiculous hairspray look that my thin hair definately can't pull off.

My question is, do you guys think this is safe? Is it safe to be spraying a hairspray RIGHT INTO my hair follicles? Or could this cause further hair loss? If anyone thinks they may have an idea as to the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Jackisback,

As I could have have a PhD in combover techniques over the last 20+ years (and that's not something I'm proud of) I feel eminently qualified to comment here. I don't think your method is going to be sucessful as far as keeping the hair from blowing or very pleasing aesthetically. But you know what works for you and you're comfortable with.

I use a very light spritzing of hairspray in front just for a little hold. This is where the majority of my "work" is and has to be trimmed by the barber every 2 weeks. I don't ever want my hair to be plastered down or stiff.

The hairspray is almost useless though in even the slightest breeze unless I wear a hat/cap. However there are many instances where this is not appropriate. I am very self conscious of this. For this reason I am seeking more density through the front and mid scalp via another proceedure.

I really don't think that the hairspray is going to hurt if applied directly to the hairline or roots. But you should avoid getting it on your skin as much as possible. I have very sensitive skin, especially to anything with alcohol in it.

I think if your hair is thinning or fine it will appear more full if you comb/brush it up and back. This may expose your receding hairline but with males beyond a certain age this is normal. This may hold you over until you decide or not decide to do something more definitive about your hairloss.

Phil

Jackisback:

I read your profile and see that you are only 19. Have you tried propecia. Also, if I were your age I would just shave my head, if you have the head for it. I see guys all the time that look very good with very short hair. When I say shave, I mean just get it cut short the same lenght on the top and the sides. My guess is that you would look better like that without the comb-over or trying to hide your hairline. Propecia will help you keep what you have until other procedures and medications come along. Good luck.

hey thanks for the feedback. yeah, i'm probably just going to cut it short like you said this summer. i'm afraid that that'll make me really look bald when it's apparent how thin the front is as i do not have hair from the middle of the head covering it. but oh well, at least then i'll be able to watch my hair grow and pick out a time when my hair looks best, and also i wont feel like a 20 year old phony w/ a combover.

Jackisback,

I second Wesley's advice. Keep whatever hair you have short and neat and avoid the combover route as much as possible. Keep in mind though that if you do have a proceedure you may have to grow it a little longer in the receipient areas, depending on how many graphs are transplated, for an appearance of greater density.

Phil