Two questions regarding propecia, any help is appreciated!

Steven545

The right side of my hairline and temple is already in bad shape, a nice chunk of hair is already gone with more thinning occurring. The left side isn't remotely as bad. I've started taking propecia in hopes of this coming to a halt. I've read up a little and had some questions answered by the doctor and I intend on reading up a lot more, but If anyone could answer these questions I would greatly greatly appreciate it!

- I understand it may take up to 6 months to see noticeable results, however, does this mean that my hair could continue to thin and the already thinning parts fade away? Basically, since I'm on the drug now can I assume I will retain all the hair I currently have? Or is it possible for more hair loss up until the 3-6 month mark?

- I'm on propecia at a fairly young age seeing as I will easily be on it for 30+ years. Disregard this on a person to person basis. Is it likely for the average person that propecia may stop working and the hair will continue to thin/fall out after so much time? The rest of my hair is perfectly fine, it's the right side of the hairline/temple that is BAD, I'm giving propecia a good year just to see how things go, but a small HT to fix that hairline sounds so nice, but, if it's a situation where the rest of my hair could fall out years later that seems like both a pointless and bad idea.

Any comments or posts would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The right side of my hairline and temple is already in bad shape, a nice chunk of hair is already gone with more thinning occurring. The left side isn't remotely as bad. I've started taking propecia in hopes of this coming to a halt. I've read up a little and had some questions answered by the doctor and I intend on reading up a lot more, but If anyone could answer these questions I would greatly greatly appreciate it!

- I understand it may take up to 6 months to see noticeable results, however, does this mean that my hair could continue to thin and the already thinning parts fade away? Basically, since I'm on the drug now can I assume I will retain all the hair I currently have? Or is it possible for more hair loss up until the 3-6 month mark?

- I'm on propecia at a fairly young age seeing as I will easily be on it for 30+ years. Disregard this on a person to person basis. Is it likely for the average person that propecia may stop working and the hair will continue to thin/fall out after so much time? The rest of my hair is perfectly fine, it's the right side of the hairline/temple that is BAD, I'm giving propecia a good year just to see how things go, but a small HT to fix that hairline sounds so nice, but, if it's a situation where the rest of my hair could fall out years later that seems like both a pointless and bad idea.

Any comments or posts would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

People insist that Propecia will not protect against a receding hairline, but I think this is rubbish. Hell, even rogaine can occasionally work in the hairline. Most of the testing that was conducted simply didn't include results in this region; most doctors argue that finasteride will work wherever there cosmetically significant hair still exists on the scalp.

My hairline started to slightly recede or "mature" (can't tell which) when I was 21. It basically stabilized and remained there for two years, so when I was 23, I got on propecia to protect against future loss. I'm now 26, and haven't lost any hair. There are some studies that suggest that at some point Propecia will stop being as effective, but the timetable is ambiguous and it seems to work differently depending on the individual. Spence David Kobren, host of the Bald Truth, has been on Finasteride for over 14 years and claims it has retained his hair. Also, I believe the drug technically starts working the second you take it, although any regrowth or complete hault in loss may take the time frame you mentioned to be noticeable. Good luck!

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Steven545, In my case, when I started on Propecia the hair just kept on falling out month after month. I have kept taking it faithfully for 11 months or so now, and it's been 3 months now that I don't see hair on the bathroom floor at all!! I am still keeping a close eye on the bathroom floor and will continue to do so in the event I'm not just going through a no-shedding cycle. Only until I see long-term proof, will I say it's working for me. Do the test yourself, but don't miss a dose! I am more confused than ever about if it works or doesn't work on the hairline and for how many years, so I continue to look at one area--the bathroom floor and shower.