the BEST regimen

bigT

Hi all haven't posted for ages but recently cancelled/'postponed' my scheduled HT, as for now want to give the meds a further chance. I am 25, with moderate recession at hairline/temples, but not too unhappy with look.

Having decided against HT i want to hang on to all ive got at mo and had four Qs regarding my current medication regimen, which is: Daily-1mg finasteride(17mths), saw palmetto 320mg standardized(2mths), zinc 50+mg(2mths), EFAs, multi-vit/min, sometimes nizoral. I do not intend to use minoxidll. Avodart would replace fin if efficacy dropped.

I am holding my hair quite well i think but my four Qs were: 1)is there anything peeps think i should add that would be clearly beneficial? 2)is there any danger of losing hair due to too much zinc? (blocking copper?) 3) am i wasting time/money on saw palmetto (does it act any differently to finasteride)? 4) is Nizoral like minoxidll ie if i use it consistently and then stop will i lose hair it has helped retained? (will hair become dependent on it?).

Thank you for everyones help/advice/input. This forum is a god send. if anyone has any Qs regarding my reigmen feel free....Cheers.

hey Big T,

I'll try to give you my opinion on your questions:

1 - If you think that Finasteride is working for you and don't want to use minoxidil, then all I can think to add that I know for sure would benefit is to be consistent with the Nizoral 2%.

2 - I won't lie - I'm not an armchair chemist, but I would think that it would have to be a hell of a lot of zinc to ingest to have a negative effect like that. Consult a physician (not an armchair chemist) to determine for sure.

3 - I think you are wasting time on saw palmetto when you are taking finasteride - my opinion.

4 - Nizoral simply creates an optimal scalp condition for growth. The only way that I could say that discontinuing would be detrimental is that you would not see any more benefit from it.

How are you doing on the Finasteride? 17 months is nothing to sneeze at. Have you found that you are maintaining? Regrowth?

Good luck, man.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert,

Thanks for reply. I am definitely maintaining, but don't think there has been any cosmeticly noticeable regrowth. Still im happy....realistic expectations and all that!....also no side effects icon_smile.gif

I think zinc may indeed have boosted my libido so it does something usefull atleast!

Do you think it worthwhile to add seperate B6 supplement to the zinc? never been too clear what the B6 did/added? prob get enogh from my muti anyway....

why do you think saw palmetto is waste of time? it is a different substance to fin...anyone else?

Cheers

There has been no conclusive evidence that saw palmetto does anything for hairloss. None. Zip. Nadda. If you are taking Propecia and maintaining, you are already getting the benefit of inhibiting the Type II 5 alpha-reductase. I speculate that taking saw palmetto would have no added benefit. However, I am not telling you not to take it. I don't think that taking it will have any adverse effects (in taking a reasonable amount, of course).

If you already take a good multi-vitamin, then you probably already get enough B's. By good, I mean Mega men from GNC, Centrum, etc. Those are brands I trust. Again, this is purely my preference.

L-argenine can also help to boost the libido substantially.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

At 25, your hairloss is still no where near the level it will be in the next 5+ years. I had a full head of super thick hair until 30. Between 30-32 I suffered a LOT of hairloss. If I didn't get vigilant about it, I have no doubt that I'd be a N5-N6 by now or worse. The key is to hold on to as much hair as you can. Once you lose it, even if you go on the greatest program on earth, you won't get all of the lost hair back. I would get off propecia, especially a 1mg dose. Go for at least .5mg avodart a day. Add in Nizoral 3x a week & a selenium based shampoo like Head & Shoulders 2-3 times a week. 5% Xandrox 2x a day should be a basic anti hairloss stack. It might seem a tad too much, but trust me, it's worth it to not have to suffer the hairloss that will surely happen without it. You can get super hardcore & start inhibiting estrogen,prolactin & cortisol with compounds like Femera, Dostinex & Cytadren, but that may not be a direction you might be interested in going. But a basic program of Avodart, xandrox & Nizoral is, imo, a must.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05