Singapore residents fight back against faux hair restoration centers

Robert_

From channelnewsasia.com:

CASE acts on complaints against hair care centres

By Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The Consumers Association of Singapore says it has received 17 complaints against hair care centres in the first half of this year.

The number has more than doubled compared to last year.

And the majority concern treatments that do not work.

35-year-old Sam Sue has been losing hair since seven years ago.

When he saw an advertisement claiming to help men like him regain their crowning glory, he decided to give it a try.

He signed up for a $2,500 package at a well-known centre which offered 10 sessions of treatment.

But he stopped after five sessions.

"I didn't see any improvement and I got quite frustrated. I felt like I was being cheated and I wish I can take back the money that I have invested," said Sam Sue, a hair loss patient.

Sam said that what irked him was the fact that the hair centre claims that the package he chose was not good enough and kept pestering him to upgrade to a more expensive package that costs more than $7,000.

Like Sam, many men seek treatment because they were influenced by advertisements on hair loss treatment.

A recent survey by the Dermatological Society found that 57% of the 150 respondents were influenced by such ads.

CASE wants to put a stop to misleading advertisements.

It has told hair centres to include a disclaimer to inform consumers the methods used have not been scientifically proven.

Said Seah Seng Choon, executive director of CASE: "If it's a false claim, it's a breach of the consumers' fair trading act and the consumers have every right to seek redress under such act."

The guidelines, which took effect at the beginning of this year, are to deter hair centres and hair product retailers from making claims that are not medically proven.

They require all advertisements on hair and scalp products to incorporate a clause stating that there is no scientific proof that any product, except certain registered medicinal products, or service can retard hair loss or promote hair growth.

CASE has informed consumers that the best recourse is to seek advice from medical professionals.

To help raise awareness about hair loss and the treatments available, CASE is conducting a public forum on August 6 at the SPRING Singapore Auditorium at Bukit Merah Central.

Consultant dermatologist and immediate past president of the Dermatological Society of Singapore, Dr Cheong Wai Kwong, explained that there are many factors affecting hair loss.

A doctor would be the best person to assess the condition and recommend the treatment that would work best for an individual.

The Dermatological Society recently launched a campaign called "HeadStart" targeting men with male pattern hair loss to encourage them to see their doctor.

It has also set up a Hair Line at 1800 3383838 for those who want to learn more about male pattern hair loss.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

From channelnewsasia.com:

CASE acts on complaints against hair care centres

By Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The Consumers Association of Singapore says it has received 17 complaints against hair care centres in the first half of this year.

The number has more than doubled compared to last year.

And the majority concern treatments that do not work.

35-year-old Sam Sue has been losing hair since seven years ago.

When he saw an advertisement claiming to help men like him regain their crowning glory, he decided to give it a try.

He signed up for a $2,500 package at a well-known centre which offered 10 sessions of treatment.

But he stopped after five sessions.

"I didn't see any improvement and I got quite frustrated. I felt like I was being cheated and I wish I can take back the money that I have invested," said Sam Sue, a hair loss patient.

Sam said that what irked him was the fact that the hair centre claims that the package he chose was not good enough and kept pestering him to upgrade to a more expensive package that costs more than $7,000.

Like Sam, many men seek treatment because they were influenced by advertisements on hair loss treatment.

A recent survey by the Dermatological Society found that 57% of the 150 respondents were influenced by such ads.

CASE wants to put a stop to misleading advertisements.

It has told hair centres to include a disclaimer to inform consumers the methods used have not been scientifically proven.

Said Seah Seng Choon, executive director of CASE: "If it's a false claim, it's a breach of the consumers' fair trading act and the consumers have every right to seek redress under such act."

The guidelines, which took effect at the beginning of this year, are to deter hair centres and hair product retailers from making claims that are not medically proven.

They require all advertisements on hair and scalp products to incorporate a clause stating that there is no scientific proof that any product, except certain registered medicinal products, or service can retard hair loss or promote hair growth.

CASE has informed consumers that the best recourse is to seek advice from medical professionals.

To help raise awareness about hair loss and the treatments available, CASE is conducting a public forum on August 6 at the SPRING Singapore Auditorium at Bukit Merah Central.

Consultant dermatologist and immediate past president of the Dermatological Society of Singapore, Dr Cheong Wai Kwong, explained that there are many factors affecting hair loss.

A doctor would be the best person to assess the condition and recommend the treatment that would work best for an individual.

The Dermatological Society recently launched a campaign called "HeadStart" targeting men with male pattern hair loss to encourage them to see their doctor.

It has also set up a Hair Line at 1800 3383838 for those who want to learn more about male pattern hair loss.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many "treatments" out there that are so totally bogus that I posted this article just to show how unfortunatly uninformed many (and perhaps most) hair loss sufferers are. There are still people that swarm to snake-oil salesmen for the fleeting hope that the newest "breakthrough" will work for them.

Fact: Finasteride and Minoxidil are the only FDA-approved medications available for Male-patter baldness

Fact: Surgical hair restoration is the #1 elective cosmetic surgery performed on men in the United States.

Tymman shared his experience with low-level laser treatment here. It is definitely worth the read.

-Robert