Minoxidil or not?

Hi,

I have got a surgery booked in about two/three weeks with Dr Path and i have been on propecia for about a year but not minoxidil.

Propecia seemed to have stopped my hair loss. My question is should i start minoxidil now even though i got a surgery very soon. Or should i start it after my surgery in 2 - 3 weeks time.

I heard after starting minoxidil, hair shedding continues for about two weeks. ive learned from this forum that proecia is to stop hair loss and minoxidil is to promote hair loss and they both work in a seperate way.

Also, if someone starts minoxidil, do they have to continue for the rest of their life? or else the hairs that grow from the effect of minoxidil fall out? (thats worring)

Could the experts please clarify these issues about minoxidil.

Ultimate,

To help answer your first question, I'm including an excerpt from Rogaine as a Hair Loss Treatment:

Rogaine and Hair Transplants

Some hair restoration physicians have come to consider Rogaine to be instrumental right after surgery. This is especially true when grafts have been placed in and around existing hair.

The shock of surgery can result in temporary hair loss. Rogaine is thought to possibly help prevent this temporary loss of healthy preexisting hair. The 5% solution has been found to be more effective for men and women. However, some physicians believe that the medication should be stopped a week or two before surgery. They feel that Rogaine may increase bleeding, while dilating blood vessels.

Here's another article on the subject:

Why Do I have to Stop Taking Rogaine Before Hair Transplant Surgery?

I would contact Dr. Pathomvanich's office with any questions about this.

Minoxidil can induce an initial shedding phase, which is usually an indication of a positive response to the medication. Using Propecia in conjunction with Rogaine is said to have a synergistic effect that could promote new hair growth, but many people consider them maintenance drugs that primarily stop/slow down loss. And like Propecia, you must remain committed to using minoxidil in order to maintain any benefits.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website