Sun Exposure and HT

Guest dude1

I'm 3 months post op from my 2nd HT and am heading south for the Christmas break. Would I be putting the new grafts at risk with extensive sun exposure? Of course I would wear a hat in order not to get too 'cooked'. Would a tanning salon help prepare me for the rays I'll be exposed to later?

I'm 3 months post op from my 2nd HT and am heading south for the Christmas break. Would I be putting the new grafts at risk with extensive sun exposure? Of course I would wear a hat in order not to get too 'cooked'. Would a tanning salon help prepare me for the rays I'll be exposed to later?

Dude1,

Three months out is pretty good, but one of the bigger risks of over-exposure to the sun/UV is permanent discoloration of your healing skin. If you skin still has some pink color, I would lean toward being cautious. Exposing your skin to excessive sun/UV is really bad for it anytime -- the scalp not withstanding (see URL http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/01462.html). As such, I would stay away from the tanning booths. I don't think the effect of UV on hair folicles is known for sure, but it certainly doesn't help! Wearing a hat part-time (like you plan on) is obviously a great idea -- especially during the strongest UV timeframe of late morning to mid-afternoon. The other preventive measure would simply be applying some good sunscreen to your skull. The UV guard shampoos and hair sprays tend not to provide very much protection (as indicated by their vague ratings information). The trick is to find a sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB, leaves minimal residue (i.e., white film) on your hair, and is easy to apply (i.e., spray bottle). I tried several drug store varieties and have not come across any real good ones yet. One would think that with the extensive number of products out there it wouldn't be so difficult to find! Shopping the Internet opens up vastly more options. Some ideas to explore include: Coconut Tree Hair & Scalp Sun Protection Spray SPF15 (see URL http://www.hairsite.com/library/abst-113.htm) and Biotech Shen Min ScalpBlock. There is no reason not to go south and enjoy the warm weather just as you would any other Winter/Spring break -- while at the same time taking these simple precautions to maintain a healthy scalp. May your time off rejuvenate and revitalize you for the year ahead!

GratefulHead

The main risk in post operative sun exposure is permanent redness of the transplanted area. The transplanted area is much more sensitive and can therefore get burned much easier. If you sun burn skin that has not fully returned to normal pigmentation it may always be a shade or two different from the non transplanted skin. I recommend no direct sun exposure for 1 month post-op. After all scabs have fallen off (1-2 weeks) I still suggest a ball cap or sun block for an additional few months. Also keep in mind skin cancer is no joke!