Wet shaving after FUE?

Anybody out there has wetshaved since or having regular wetshaves after an FUE procedure? Everybody knows there will be some scarring after the surgery, but does it totally rule out wet shaving? 

How about a no grade buzz? Is it the growth that makes the scars pop out (lack of hair) or can you see them in the skin quite clearly? 

Finally, anyone out there whose scarring is entirely negligible? Is that even possible? 

1 hour ago, Antonfarat said:

Anybody out there has wetshaved since or having regular wetshaves after an FUE procedure? Everybody knows there will be some scarring after the surgery, but does it totally rule out wet shaving? 

How about a no grade buzz? Is it the growth that makes the scars pop out (lack of hair) or can you see them in the skin quite clearly? 

Finally, anyone out there whose scarring is entirely negligible? Is that even possible? 

I just shaved to a #0. I think the scars are visible.

PXL_20240505_082725302.jpg

PXL_20240505_130841731.jpg

PXL_20240505_082720760.jpg

PXL_20240505_075649164.jpg

PXL_20240505_065854733.jpg

• Like 1

Hey man, grade 0 is a little too short following FUE. Grade 0.5 - grade 1 if often better. All depends on what punch size the surgeon used 👍

3 hours ago, Antonfarat said:

Yes they definitely are. 

how long are you after surgery? 

where did you have it done? 

5 years, hlc

1 hour ago, davidn said:

5 years, hlc

Yeah you should be beyond fully healed, so would expect those to be much smaller and less noticeable. HLC are meant to be decent, so not sure what happened there. 

Or are my expectations higher for how negligible fue scarring is? Seen some shaved donors from Eugenix where I could honestly not see a thing, but may just have been lighting. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Antonfarat said:

Yeah you should be beyond fully healed, so would expect those to be much smaller and less noticeable. HLC are meant to be decent, so not sure what happened there. 

Or are my expectations higher for how negligible fue scarring is? Seen some shaved donors from Eugenix where I could honestly not see a thing, but may just have been lighting. 

There are other factors at play: such as punch size, depth of the punch operation, post-op care (some doctors advice Aloe Vera gel on donor area to help with healing), skin characteristics, the healing process itself which is different for each individual

Edited by Ccd99
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created

3 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

There are other factors at play: such as punch size, depth of the punch operation, post-op care (some doctors advice Aloe Vera gel on donor area to help with healing), skin characteristics, the healing process itself which is different for each individual

Are Mine Bad?

4 minutes ago, davidn said:

In my opinion they are quite noticeable, perhaps you can consider a short fade instead, maybe something like a 2 guard? That should mask the FUE scars.

Alternatively if you want a 0 guard or skin shave then you can look into SMP as an option to fill in the FUE scars.

• Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created

Posted (edited)

yeah now i have 1mm and I think they are already less noticable. Problem is, I will be screwed if I lose more hair. Will be disfigured. Also not sure if SMP actually 

1) works in fue scars

2) works long-term

Edited by davidn
clarification

4 minutes ago, davidn said:

yeah now i have 1mm and I think they are already less noticable. Problem is, I will be screwed if I lose more hair. Will be disfigured.

Starting on DHT blocking medication (such as Finasteride of Dutasteride) if you haven't done so already could help prevent losing more hair. 

2 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

Starting on DHT blocking medication (such as Finasteride of Dutasteride) if you haven't done so already could help prevent losing more hair. 

I am on Fin for 6 years. But will it work the next 50? lol

12 minutes ago, davidn said:

yeah now i have 1mm and I think they are already less noticable. Problem is, I will be screwed if I lose more hair. Will be disfigured. Also not sure if SMP actually 

1) works in fue scars

2) works long-term

SMP defo works mate, not sure why people think it’s not permanent. I have had mine for 10y and looks slightly more faded (maybe 10% compared to day 1), but that is it. 

I do know it may need more treatments in scars, but it defo works. Plus you can easily get a top up here and there, it’s not expensive and downtime is literally 3-5 days at the very most. 

8 minutes ago, Antonfarat said:

SMP defo works mate, not sure why people think it’s not permanent. I have had mine for 10y and looks slightly more faded (maybe 10% compared to day 1), but that is it. 

I do know it may need more treatments in scars, but it defo works. Plus you can easily get a top up here and there, it’s not expensive and downtime is literally 3-5 days at the very most. 

ah nice.  that is good to hear. to which % would you think they could hide my scars in worst case?

I would say 90%, just because scar tissue can sometimes lead to fading, but with a fresh treatment I think 100% - of course considering you’ll choose someone who knows what they are doing. Not sure who the big players are in this anymore, I got mine at HisHair in the UK 10+ years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Antonfarat said:

I would say 90%, just because scar tissue can sometimes lead to fading, but with a fresh treatment I think 100% - of course considering you’ll choose someone who knows what they are doing. Not sure who the big players are in this anymore, I got mine at HisHair in the UK 10+ years ago. 

thats amazing to hear - will do that if it gets too bad later

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davidn said:

I am on Fin for 6 years. But will it work the next 50? lol

I sure hope so because I am relying on it also! I have heard reports that both Fin and Dut lose efficacy after 5 years but don't think this is something widely researched yet.

One could also consider using an anti-androgen such as RU-58841 which works using a different mechanism and does not have diminishing returns. There is also GT20029 which is being research and appears to be a safer alternative. It should be coming to market once it completes Phase 3 trials.

Personally, I believe safe anti-androgens will be on the market in the next 5/10 years as alternative to RU-58841 and the combination of Fin/Dut and an anti-androgen will help keep DHT in check and avoid further hair loss.

Edited by Ccd99