terrible pain in donor area after FUE procedure

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my treatment done in Europe, and I live in Canada. So I cannot get anymore meds from my doctor. Is a walk in clinic here my only option? I don't think they will fill a prescription here from a doctor in Europe... I have tylenol 3s at home, do you think that would be better?

If not, what meds did you take? Any recommendations?

I had the same nerve pain .. went away about after a week or so. Took over the counter pain killers and applied cold Aloe vera gel to the donor area and that helped.

Keep on spraying the saline water solution every hour .. i did it ever 30 mins .. all the time.

Apply conditioner in the shower and leave it for 5 mins ..it should soften the scabs but dont pick them

It will get better .. keep the implanted area moist with spray.

i am fine after 18months with 2500 grafts .. going to get some more to top up in the next month.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

the pain is now under control. Not better nor worse. Manageable.

More importantly I have a positive disposition again.

I have been advised that the pain is called neuropathic pain and more than likely relates to

1: nerve damage caused by nerve blocks being inserted in an in incorrect manner as well as

2: Some the needles may have hit nerves during the harvest phase of my HT.

I found something basic that discusses this on the net. ( pls visit part 4 from the following page

hair transplants - hair transplant associated pain reduction techniques for more information for more information)

The local doc advised the pain could last weeks to several months perhaps years ( although remote) . Each person is different in their healing speed. We'll see.

The local doctor prescribed me:

- lyrica to dampen the tingling and burning sensation

- Tramadol for the general pain

I am back at work but I unfortuanatley one of the by products of the pain killers is that I am a walking zombie so I am not comfortable with making decisions on completing contracts nor am I allowed to drive.

I made contact with the HT doctor but I have to admit that I was disappointed with his lack of compassion/ empathy about the whole situation repeating adnueseum to me that "this had never had before with FUE". I called his mobile on the weekend and didnt get a call till the monday. There seemed to be a lack of desire to really help.

As a consequence of my calls and emails, he has committed to investigating it further by reading some medical journals and come back to me by weekend.

He did ask for details of the my local doctor so he can get a better idea of the situation.

I am really reluctant to say which doctor at the moment as I have faith in people so what I will say is that the doctor is not in the USA. He is located in Western Europe.

I guess what I can offer this forum is advice that whilst pain from a FUE HT's is incredibly rare, I guess I am proof that it is very possible.

One should know of the potenital complications with any type of HT and def allowing for some down time after the HT.

Apart from that the HT is coming along well. I'll post photo's in a blog soon.

I'll keep you updated.

Once again thanks for your advice and insight it really has been helpful and supportive.

Sunchaser – I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm wondering if the pain you experienced has receded at all since your last post. I'm considering an FUE procedure as well, so it'd be great to get an update. Thanks so much for sharing!!

I had this same type of pain after my first procedure. At the time... I was concerned that it might be some type of nerve damage and I was concerned it might never go away. I would get these "jolts" in the back of my head and it was painful.

That said... I believe it started to go away around the 2 week mark. I am sure it will begin to go away very soon. Hang in there...

Edit - Just realized this is an older thread. I think this pain is fairly common. However... some people seem to have a much higher tolerance for pain. Although it can be pretty painful at times... it didn't really bother me so much. I was just concerned it may never go away... but it did.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pretty poor show from ALL the posters who have suffered this pain not to name the doctors responsible.

We are grown up enough to realise it might be the patient rather than the doctor but if the posters had the integrity to name the doctors we could see a pattern.

As someone who is very near to undergoing a HT not knowing who is responsible for thi is very worrying.