The home stretch

Hi everyone, 

First of all, thank you to all of you for your answers and your help, you can't imagine how much it helps. 
I'm writing this post to validate my latest solution to my problem, before throwing myself into the adventure. 

I started to have fairly aggressive diffuse hair loss from the age of 21, and at 23, I had a hair transplant of 2500 grafts ( maybe 2000) FUE, at a catastrophic clinic. The hairline is very straight, pluggy and, above all, the hair is at 90 degrees to the front. In the meantime, I've lost a lot in the middle despite taking oral minoxidil 2.5mg and oral finasteride 0.5mg for 1 year, and I'm desperate to do something about it, because I can't go out as if nothing had happened. Morever, i had oily hair after 1 day of shower, and i shed very very miniaturized hair.
I was originally going to densify my hairline with 1000 grafts, but I listened to your advice and didn't do it, because for the repair to be as good as possible, I'd have to remove the hairline and then redensify the rest. 

I've seen several docs in Belgium, so here's my plan: 
- I'd like to extract the front line from 800 grafts and re-implant them in the middle. 
- Then redensify the whole with 2000 grafts.  (middle + hairline). 

An expert told me that I had around 5000 grafts left in the donor area, despite the linear scars from FUE (I never shave my hair so it's invisible). 
I wanted to get your opinion on whether this was the right choice. To tell you the truth, I can't think of anything else, because I really have to do something. I know I'm young, but on the other hand, I might as well put in the 2,000 grafts now, than put them in 10 years' time - I've already lost quite a bit in the middle. 
I'll post the results of my experience to help others who are in the same situation as me.

Thanks, 

hair_oily_today.PNG

repair_suggested.PNG

at_sun_today.PNG

hair_2years_ago_afterht.PNG

hairline_today.PNG

hair_dry_today.PNG

• Valued Contributor

I understand your concern and i feel sorry for you...This is the reason why it is advised not to go for a surgery in early twenties but what is done is done and can't be undone but i would like to ask you to remain calm and don't take your decision in haste. Extracting grafts from the hairline carries the risk of scarring, necessitating careful consideration.

Could you share insights from the doctors you consulted and their recommendations? If medications prove ineffective, there's a risk of continued hair loss, placing you in a similar situation again. Given your previous hasty surgical decision, it's advisable to remain calm, seek guidance from ethical, experienced doctors, and then make an informed decision.

I hope this helps you. Best of luck.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I think you should trust your gut and go forward with the repair journey. Don't listen to the naysayers whether it is from a doctor, community member, or anyone else. This is your hair you have to live with 24/7, ultimately the decision needs to come to you

2 things I hope you keep in mind:

1) I wager you are looking at 3 repair surgeries minimum. This is going to be a long and expensive investment

2) With any hair transplant, but especially for repairs, the goals should be progress and naturalness over perfection. 

Repair patients are unfortunately "ruined canvases" so to speak, and it is sadly much harder to repair a canvas that a 5 yr old scribbled over first, as opposed to starting from a completely blank canvas

Even after 3 or more repair surgeries, you likely will not have a 10/10 result - but again that is not the goal. The goal is to get you looking good, dense, and thick enough that the HT illusion is there and that mentally speaking your hair no longer bothers you. 

Once a patient has been botched, it is extremely difficult to 100% reverse it. 

I am encouraging you to proceed with this, just make sure your goals are realistic

Thank you for your answers. 
But that's what I don't understand, I've seen testimonials where the scars are invisible, and for me, if there are any, they'll be camouflaged when I redensify.
As far as the medication is concerned, I'd like to switch to 5mg of minxodil, but I understand that it doesn't change much compared to 2.5mg. It's a shame there's no topical dutasteride in France ...

7 hours ago, DavidFrancis said:

But that's what I don't understand, I've seen testimonials where the scars are invisible, and for me, if there are any, they'll be camouflaged when I redensify

As long as you go to a good doctor, scar visibility is not the issue

What really is the issue - even if you go to a great doctor- is it harder to grow hair on skin that already has scarring and scar tissue. Any subsequent surgery over the existing area will be harder for growth

That is the issue at hand

Of course, if you go to bad surgeon, i think an additional worry would indeed be the scar visibility aspect, potential cobblestoning, etc