Planning my hair transplant and some questions

Greetings!

I am looking to get a hair transplant this winter and have started the consultation process. I am a NW III with no MPB in my family that I'm aware of, although a lot of us have receded temples. My hairline has always been fairly high with a pronounced widow's peak. The temples definitely receded further in my late teens to early 30s, but now at the age of 43, I feel that it has been stable for a good 10 years or so. I have noticed some additional miniaturized hair in the temple and forelock but no bald patches. I have never tried Minox or Fin, although I regularly use an herbal DHT blocking shampoo.

The first response I received was from Eugenix. They estimate that I will need about 2700 and recommend taking Fin. I am awaiting further consultations results, but am wondering what the general consensus is on the use of Fin in my case type. Will it significantly improve the success of a HT? If I want to have the procedure in Jan/Feb should I start to take it asap? I haven't ever considered Fin before because my temples are already bald and it is my understanding that it won't create new hair in that case. But if it helps improve blood flow to the transplanted follicles then maybe it is worth it?? I am pretty worried about potentially permanent negative side effects to libido, etc. But if not taking it will jeopardize the HT then I would definitely consider the risk worth it. So, do you think Fin is definitely beneficial to take for the first few months to help the HT in my situation?

Thanks!

No family history of hair loss?  But all have receded temporal areas?  That's a component of hair loss.  Gradual, it seems.  Will you go on to thin more?  A true enigma. The fact remains, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  Wish we had a hair crystal ball from time to time.  Consider the non surgical program.

Propecia and Rogaine are considered to be the best meds for retention, particularly towards the crown.  They do work in different ways and there's synergy when combined. The problem is a year later when patients see no visual change - and stop all together.  The meds are not intended for you to grow anything.  They're to keep you from losing more.  If you look the same a year later, the meds did what they were intended to do.  Research PRP and Laser.  When done correctly, these can help reverse miniaturization. 

Testosterone is what drives guys.  This gets broken down to DHT which we know is an irritant to the follicle - in the horizontal plane, not the vertical one.  If the hair is permanent in the donor area, it'll be permanent wherever it's placed - meds are typically not needed unless the patient is experiencing global thinning, (thinning in the sides and back).  

(Starting and stopping the medication is a waste of time, effort and expense.  Not only will you go on to lose what you would have lost had you not been on the med(s),  you'll resume losing hair).  If you decide to start some sort of regimen, stay on it.  (The cost of Propecia - the lowest price I found so far - is $27 for the entire year. So, why not)?  

Understanding meds tend to be more effective towards the back, I'd be one to transplant the front and keep an eye on things.  If you start noticing ongoing miniaturization, consider getting on meds.  Be under the supervision of a physician and take photos to keep track of things.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

24 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

No family history of hair loss?  But all have receded temporal areas?  That's a component of hair loss.

Thanks for the response. While, yes, there is hairloss in my family, no one I know of has a bald crown, going into their 70s and beyond. I'm not sure if that makes our specific kind of temporal loss a "mature hairline" or a "receded hairline", but I feel some assurance I won't develop a bald crown. I believe you are right that medications will provide some benefit for me. But my immediate concern is still not clarified:

Does taking Finesteride benefit the newly grafted hair follicles? Does it somehow provide them with increased bloodflow or otherwise improve the survival rate of the new hair? I'm sure in many cases it will improve the overall result, particularly in patients that are experiencing ongoing dramatic hairloss. But what about in my case where my hairline hasn't changed much if at all in the last decade?

And, assuming I do want to be taking Finesteride alongside my HT, does it matter when I start? Is it better to begin ASAP or wait until the day of the procedure or some time after? Does it make much of a difference?

Thanks!

Edited by nok