Minoxidil after Hairtransplant - How to tell if it is working?

Minoxidil after Hairtransplant - How to tell if it is working?

Just to give you some background, I'm a 37-year-old guy with a Norwood 2/3 hairline and some thinning in my donor area. I've been on Finasteride for two years, which has helped me stop losing hair, but I haven't seen much regrowth.

I recently had a hair transplant, and now I'm thinking about trying topical Minoxidil. I've heard it can help about 50% of guys. But how can I determine if it will work for me, especially after a hair transplant? The challenge is that the transplant itself is expected to enhance my hair, making it difficult to distinguish topical Minoxidil's impact.

I'm considering two options and would like to hear your opinions:

1. Should I wait a year to see the full results of the hair transplant before trying topical Minoxidil? The advantage is that I can see if topical Minoxidil works on its own, but I might miss out on benefits for both the transplanted and existing hair.

2. Or, should I start using topical Minoxidil now, about four weeks after the transplant, to maybe get the best results? The downside is that it's tough to tell if it's topical Minoxidil or the transplant that's working.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these choices.

20230503_183011.jpg

Just to clarify, my doctor told me that there's some thinning in my donor area. That's why I shared the picture, although it was taken at the hair salon, lol. The rest of my hair has wax and volume spray on it, so it doesn't always look this good.

In simple terms, I'm worried that Minoxidil might not work for me. The issue is, I've had a hair transplant, so I can't really tell if it's doing anything. It's frustrating to think I could use it for a while without knowing if it's effective as I've never used it before in my life.