Finasteride and Minoxidil before and after transplant

Hello fellow members

I have a few questions regarding how long before a transplant are you supposed to stop finasteride and minoxidil? and how long after should you resume?. Or can you just continue taking it through the entire before and after process without stopping?.  

My understanding is if it is oral finasteride you are consuming, then you do not need to stop at all and can just continue taking it throughout. For topical you obviously need to stop on the day of surgery until your scalp heals as you don't want to anything to get in contact with your recipient area.

When it comes to minoxidil, whether it is oral or topical, it is advised you stop beforehand as it could impact your blood pressure and potentially result in increased blood loss during the surgery. The advice varies by doctor, I have heard some suggest stop 1 week beforehand and some that have said to stop 1 month beforehand. I would guess that you can continue oral sooner than topical as it does not need to be physically administered to the recipient area.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer better advice, but this is something I plan on asking my doctor closer to my HT procedure time.

Edited by Ccd99
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created

Continue Fin, stop Min for a week or two prior to the procedure.  If you flood the field, the doctor can't see what he's doing.  You can resume right after.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.